Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Canon MG5220 has stopped working and is giving an error code

Canon MG5220 has stopped working and is giving an error code of COOO. Can you tell me what that means?

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi Carie, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Canon,

Nathan :

the C000 message indicates a cartridge error.

Nathan :

This can be caused by a defective cartridge, using generic cartridges, or even by a paper jam.

Nathan :

First, open up the printer, and check for any paper jams, and remove them (slide the carriage gently to the side and out of the way, if needed).

Nathan :

Then, with the carriage in the middle, unplug power to the printer at the wall outlet.

Nathan :

Remove all ink cartridges, and clean them, as well as the carriage it came out of, focusing on the ink ports and the metal/electrical contacts. You may clean by swabbing the parts with qtips and rubbing alcohol.

Nathan, you did it! One of the ink cartridges wasn't 'set' correctly. I re-set it and have the correct HOME screen. I can't test it as my boss didn't bring in the cable but all looks good (no paper jams, etc.) Will advise him about the cleaning just for future reference.

Nathan :

After cleaning, give everything another swab with a dry qtip, or a blast of compressed air, (or just let air dry about 15 min), then put it all back together, plug back in, and try printing.

Nathan :

Oh great! Glad to know,

Nathan :

this is usually something simple like that, but I wanted you to have all the steps, just in case.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,