Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

My 7250 all in one wont print using magenta. i have tried

My 7250 all in one won't print using magenta. i have tried two different new ink cartridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Kodak,

Nathan :

you mentioned cleaning the print heads, can you tell me how you went about that?

Customer:

taht is one of my options under 'utility', but it hasn't helped

Nathan :

Ok, that's what I wanted to know; you were using the automated cleaning function.

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

The symptoms you describe would point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a clog in the tubing for the magenta ink,

Nathan :

the automated cleaner typically won't fix this,

Nathan :

you'll need to manually clean it

Customer:

how do i do that

Nathan :

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the carriage using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

Remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. Focus on the port for the magenta cartridge here.

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

Nathan :

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Customer:

im having trouble finding a lever to remove the carriage

Nathan :

Let me see if I can find a photo,

Nathan :

the kodak ones can be tricky,

Nathan :

It is at the back,

Customer:

printing a test page now

Nathan :

Okay

Customer:

the magenta has a white stripe across it

Nathan :

But it did at least print some magenta this time, where it did none before?

Customer:

yes, it has some magenta

Nathan :

If so, go ahead and give it another cleaning. It can sometimes take a few tries to dissolve a an ink clog

Nathan :

it seems you're at least making progress, which is a good sign.

Nathan :

If after about 3 cleanings (and make sure it has time to dry well after) it still doesn't work, then it would be time for a new print head

Customer:

anither q tip cleaning?

Nathan :

Yes, you probably don't need to do the bottom of the printhead again, I'd just focus on really trying to "pump" the alcohol through the magenta ink port.

Customer:

just press down on the magenta port with a q tip really hard?

Nathan :

You don't necessarily have to press hard, just make sure it is really saturated, so your forcing the liquid through the system.

Customer:

then dry it and try again?

Customer:

?

Nathan :

Yes, exactly.

Nathan :

You can also try running the automated cleaning function again after doing the manual cleaning,

Nathan :

as that automated function forces ink to flush through the system too

Customer:

still getting the white stripe across the magenta

Nathan :

Did you try the automated cleaning again as well?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

Okay, well you can give it another try (the automated cleaning) if you'd like, it won't hurt anything, except using up your ink,

Nathan :

beyond that, it would be time to replace the printhead

Customer:

any clue how much that costs?

Nathan :

Yes, yours used the #10 printhead, which is around $40

Customer:

where can i purchase it?

Nathan :

It is as simple to change as popping the old out like you did earlier to clean, and snapping in the new

Nathan :

You can click right on the link I just sent:

Kodak print head for Kodak <------- click for link

Customer:

office depot wouldn't stock it, would they?

Nathan :

Not likely,

Nathan :

they are more in the business of selling new printers than parts to fix existing ones

Nathan :

You'll usually find these online only.

Customer:

so if my problem isn't resolved, am i still stuck with the $48 charge?

Nathan :

Well, that is really up to you. I've spent my time and efforts in a good faith attempt to solve the problem, which at this point appears to be a hardware issue, that of course is outside of my control, so I would hope that you'd see fit to compensate me for my time, recommendations, and advise. Had you taken the printer in to a repair shop, you would have paid a $75-100 diagnostic fee for the same info, and still had to buy the part in the end anyway (at a markup, plus labor to install).

Nathan :

If you feel my time and efforts were of absolutely no use to you in diagnosing the problem, providing parts and sources, etc, then I can request a refund of your deposit for you. If my time is of value, I'd ask you to click one of the top 3 smiley faces below our chat window to rate my service, so that I get credit for my time.

Customer:

Ok, Thanks Nathan.

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.