Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

hp7210xi will not powerup. The center display scans appox.

hp7210xi will not powerup. The center display scans appox. 1-3/4 times then stops.
Can you tell me what is wrong?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
You said it will not power up but then said it will not scan, can you explain this a little more please and exactly which is happening?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Printer will not powerup. In the middle of the printer is a small lcd character display. When I plug the printer into the power outlet it begins to scan across the display one time (left to right) then a second time 3/4 across and then it stops. It freezes there.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok does it stay frozen or does it turn itself off after that?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The printer stays frozen. The lcd display character goes away but the backlight of the display stays on. To me this looks like the printer is still on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok with it like that please try making a photo copy and let me know if it does the copy or not.
This will let us know if the boatd or the LCD is the problem.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As stated in the original statement of the problem, the printer will not power up. The on-light does not come on when the "ON" button is pressed. The printer is not able to make a photo copy, a print copy, a scan, nor FAX. The printer does not power on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You said the print is on and that the LCD stays frozen and the machine stays that way it does not turn off by itself.
With it that way place something on the scanner glass and press the copy button.

Doesit copy or does it do nothing at all?
This will let us know if the boatd or the LCD is the problem, and not testing this would be to force guessing which it is.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is the correct understanding:

1. I plug the printer power cord into the 110volt outlet

2. Without touching any thing on the printer, the lcd display turns on and starts scanning. 1-3/4 times across and then freezes.

3. I press the "on" button and nothing happens. It does not power up, It does not make any sounds like it did before this problem.

4. Per your request: document on the scanner glass; I press "print" It does nothing at all.

The printer never powered up. The lcd display came on at the instant that I pluged the AC power cord into the wall outlet.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok thank you for testing that for me so we could narrow down which part was the issue, how old is the printer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure about the printers age. I got it from my sister two years ago.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok if it was under 3 years old there was a possibility you had an extended warranty.
The extended warranty for these machines is 3 years, older than that and there is no warranty.

What you are describing means the pc board needs to be replaced.
Replacing this can sometimes be expensive as you can see here: Click Here
You may also need to replace the control board which is about the same price as they commonly fail together.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine instead.
If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand; Replace the powersupply board and the control board the correct the problem. This could be as much as $300.00. May be better to buy a new printer and trash the 7210xi. Thankyou