Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a Canon MX822 printer that all of a sudden started giving

I have a Canon MX822 printer that all of a sudden started giving me the 6A81error code. I went through what you have told other folks about checking for paper jams and such but there is no paper stuck any where. I have noticed that when I turn it on, the ink try moves forward and back two times, does not light up, and then the printer beeps and shows me the error code again. I'm at a loss.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

The error seems to be a purge error. Please try the following instructions.

Solution 1:

• There maybe something jamming the purge unit or just a absorber out of place which is picking up on the carriage preventing it from moving correctly.
  • Try to move the carriage away from the purge (its where the printhead/carriage parks its self on the right side of the machine) with no resistance then you can shine a torch into the machine and look at the purge unit.
  • There maybe crumpled paper jammed in the purge.
  • If all looks well, the purge unit may be defective and had to be replaced.

Solution 2:

• The wiper on the purge may have stuck. It slides back and forth and they have been known to stick.
  • Push it with a long screwdriver to see if it moves.

Solution 3:

• Something is blocking the printer inside. It could be a paper jam or a foreign object.
  • Check using a flashlight, to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.
  • If there is nothing obvious, unplug the printer power supply.

Solution 4:

Take a dry cloth and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder. Dust may be coating the rollers there and as they become less tacky, they cannot feed paper correctly.

Solution 5:

• Hold the printer in both hands (you may need another person to help you), turn it upside down and shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area. (Sometimes objects such as pens, paper clips and so on can fall into the paper feed area and cause blockages.)
  • Then plug the printer back up, take your paper out and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper. Then try to form feed again. If that works, then try to print again.

We may need to communicate back and forth in order to get the issue resolved . I am an independent tech, and volunteering my time unpaid until the conversation is concluded. I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. If you do not feel I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wiper on the purge tray is not sliding back properly. How do I fix this?

In order to do that, you may have to remove the purge unit. I would suggest you use a screw driver and check if you are able to get it to the correct position. Otherwise, I would suggest you contact a nearby technician to do that for you.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have reset it a couple of times but it is really sticky. Is there any thing I can do to fix that myself?

Please try the following.

1. Please open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.

2. The Purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head is PARKED and is the top of the Purge unit.

3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked.
(The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)

4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything there.

If the issue still persists, please check the following.

Cap absorber and wiper blade: If the cap absorber contacts the wiper blade, lower the cap absorber so that it will not contact the wiper blade.

Foreign material around the purge drive system unit: If so, remove foreign material.

Ink absorber right beneath the purge drive system unit: Confirm that the absorber stays in place and does not contact the unit.

Foreign material around the ASF unit: Remove foreign material.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is really sticky and acts like it needs to be cleaned with something. So far I think we are on the right page though.

If we force the wiper blade to move, it may damage anything. I would suggest you use your hand and try moving it. Do it gently.

Thank you.
S H E F I N