Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.
27991594

I have a Pixma MG6150 printer that will not start up, it tells

I have a Pixma MG6150 printer that will not start up, it tells me power wasn't turned off properly and to press the start/stop button, then press OK. I do that and it briefly starts to initialise then shuts down.
Been trying it for a week now with no success.
Help Please
Category: Printers
Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Normally if there was a basic fault in the printer, it would stop what it was doing and issue an error code. Does it say that it's shutting down or does it instantly just shut down as if the power plug was removed from it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Carl,

It didn't stop while being used, I had a printing job to do and went to start it and there was an error message. I tried restarting and the error message keeps caming up then it swiftly shust down.

It may have suffered a forced shut down due to a temporary power outage, I'm not sure, we have had some in the lead up to this problem.

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
Hey Howard and thank you for the additional information. Do you by chance remember what those error messages were exactly or was it just the message saying that it was shut down improperly?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just the one error message...

Power was not turned off correctly the last time.

Press the ON button when turning power off.

I did what the troubleshooter advised and removed the power cord for 3 minutes... no dice.

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, that usually never works. If you would, let's try removing the Ink Cartridges then try powering it on. Does anything change?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How do I remove the ink cartridges without powering it up?

The ink cartridges are in the stowed position under cover to the right and won't centre for access without powering up.

Lifting up the cover doesn't do anything.

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
You may need to manually move them to the center Howard.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tried, they won't move, even with more force than I'd like.. is there a manual release?

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
It should be moving manually. It's possible that it's carriage is jammed and that's probably why you can't move it. See if its jammed at all.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It could be jammed, I can slide a thin plastic ruler along the top of the cartridges to the end and they are all even, apart from that I can't really see anything in there because of the housing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello.. anyone home??

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay Howard,

If the Carriage is jammed, it can try to shut itself down to avoid a short circuit. Let's test it and see.

1. Turn the Printer off then press and hold the Power & Stop / Reset buttons.

2. Once the Power light comes on, keep pressing the Power button and press the Stop / Reset button 2 times.

3. Release the two buttons then press the Stop / Reset button 4 times.

Does this help any?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Didn't help, all the illuminated controls stayed on and the XXXXX XXXXXght at the front is on.

It's in a locked state and I'll have to disconnect the power as no buttons are responding..

Reconnected power and error message is gone but still won't start up.

Expert:  Carl L replied 11 months ago.
Your Carriage must be locked up then. May may need to apply more force on it as possible to free it up.
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience: Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.