Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a Kodak ESP 5250 printer. I had a paper jam while printing

I have a Kodak ESP 5250 printer. I had a paper jam while printing labels; removed back cleared, then printer started printing crooked. I aligned the printer...the result was successful yet it printed crooked. The rollers in the back are moving properly and are not sticky. The printer cannot be "opened up" to access inside; only the back panel comes off. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Open the machine as if you were going to change the ink cartridges, do you see anything there stuck there?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok please remove all the paper from the machine.
Then load only a single page and see if it does the same thing.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is having trouble picking up the paper and jams.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok for the next step we will need compressed air, do you have any you could use?
Canned compressed air like air duster will work as well.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok unfortunately we will need some in order to continue you can get a can of compressed air from place likes walmart or CVS for about $3.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would a hair dryer on cool work?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No that will not provide enough pressure and heat could damage parts inside the machine.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I print, the very top of the paper is not "curling" around to go back through the printer to be printed.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I mentioned before in order to continue we will need compressed air in order to get under the rollers. Unfortunately that does not change this. You can take all the time you need and get back to me any time by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page. '
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason that it was not going back through the printer was because I still had the back off. I will get some compressed air. Thank you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you try it with a single page now that the back is on? I assumed you had already put it back on.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. It is still printing crooked. As the page comes out, the right side is too close to the top but the left side seems to be in the correct place.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok then yes we would want to clean it out with compressed air next.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do that then get back to you. Thanks.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cleaned the printer with compressed air, tried printing. First page was slightly crooked. The next time I tried to print I got an error message, "Unable to detect paper edge."

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did you blow through the rear door as well?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the back off and blew it out with just the can air then again with extension tube.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Plug it back in and turn it on.
Then see if it does the same thing.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Error message, "Unable to detect paper width."

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please check the paper guides along the side of the paper.
Move them all the way closed and then all the way open.
Then try a single sheet like you did before?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried, Unable to detect paper width. Check paper alignment.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Darn, is that error showing only on the printer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it also pops up on my computer screen. Should I try the alignment again?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try making a photo copy, that should take the computer out of it and let us see if it feeds properly.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It printed, but still crooked. First try got error message about alignment. Tried to calibrate and cannot detect paper edge.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately it sounds like the feed roller got damaged and would need to be replaced in order to fix this. How old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3 1/2 years old

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Darn, even the extended warranty only lasts 3 years and unfortunately out of warranty it is usually cheaper to replace the machine. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX am helping a friend with filing, etc. at her home. This is her printer and she will not be using it so I guess I will need to print things at home on mine. I appreciate your help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.

If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience