Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

I have a Brother MFC 420CN all in one printer and my company

I have a Brother MFC 420CN all in one printer and my company just upgraded to Excel 2010. Now all of the column headings won't print correctly - those print out is small square boxes instead of letters and numbers.

What do I do.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

what does it look like in the print preview ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On any print preview, those areas look correct.

sounds like a bad driver than

what operating system are you using ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows XP Professional

I tried to reinstall the oringinal driver on disc, but with not change. I may be going about going about reinstalling the driver incorrectly.

delete the printer that is there from the printers and faxes folder

disconnect the printer from the computer if it is connected with a usb cable

reboot the computer

download and install the file on this page

when it tells you to or when the installation is finished hook the printer up to the computer with the usb cable

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I deleted the printer in the Printers & Faxes folder, but can't install the driver. I must of chosen the wrong operating system (XP Professional x 64 bit) and it says it is incorrect.

Now I can't get back to the place where it asks what operating system is in the computer. How do I do that?

No most xp are not 64 bit. try this link again

You might also want the firmware updater if the new driver does not work it might be an issue with the printer itself that the firmware would fix. But I don't usually recommend doing firmware upgrades unless you definitely need it and the driver might fix the problem so try the driver first.