Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a HP 8500 printer. It is not printing. I get a message

I have a HP 8500 printer. It is not printing. I get a message that says The following printer head has a problem black/yellow. It doesn't tell me what the problem is. Do I just need ink or is there a problem with the printer heads?

Thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Could you please let me know the exact error message you are getting?

Also, please let me know the correct model number (E.g. HP Officejet Pro 8500 All-in-One Printer), so that I can assist you better.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The message says "The following printer head has a problem Black/Yellow. Printer is HP Office Pro 8500 all in one

Expert:  Shefin replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information. I would suggest you clean the printhead contacts completely. Please try the following instructions.

1. Make sure that the product is turned on.

2. Open the top cover of the product.

3. Press and hold the OK button for five seconds. The carriage moves to the left side of the product. Release the OK button.

CAUTION:Proceed only if the carriage is on the left side of the product. If it is not, the printheads will be damaged when you install them. If the carriage does not move over, try turning the product off and on again

4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

5. Unplug the product power cord from the electrical outlet.

NOTE:Do not turn the product off by pressing the Power button ( ). This causes the carriage to move out of reach.

6. Lift the printhead latch.

graphic

7. Lift the handle on the printhead that the error message indicates is missing or damaged, and then pull the printhead out of its slot.

graphic

8. Use a dry, soft, lint-free cloth to remove any ink from the electrical contacts on the printhead.

9. Wipe the electrical contacts with the swab until no ink residue remains.

10. Wipe the electrical contacts with a fresh cloth to dry them and remove lint.

11. After the electrical contacts on the printhead are clean and dry, place the printhead on a sheet of paper or a paper towel. Make sure that the ink nozzles face up and do not touch the paper.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to clean the contacts inside the product.

1. Use a fresh, dry, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the electrical contacts inside the product.

graphic

2. Allow at least five minutes for the contacts to dry. Check the contacts for lint or debris, and then dry or clean the contacts again if needed.

If the issue still persists, you may have to replace the printhead itself in order to get the issue resolved. Please let me know the response, so that I can assist you further.

We may need to communicate back and forth in order to get the issue resolved . I am an independent tech, and volunteering my time unpaid until the conversation is concluded. I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. If you do not feel I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.