DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

How to fix my xerox when it threw a code 09, 038, 46:21159

How to fix my xerox when it threw a code 09, 038, 46:21159?
Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 7 months ago.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a Q&A service not associated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

Good morning from the USA (local time 23:21 PM). Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Bruce, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're a first time user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a for-pay Q&A service, and not the official company support site for Xerox printers?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

You there?

DrKlahn :

Thank you. I am reading the service manual for the 8560/8860 and while it does not call out this specific problem, the 09 - 038 - 04x series of codes are all ink loader errors.

DrKlahn :

Did this problem occur after changing one of the ink sticks?

Customer:

no. I have been using it for many months now. This is the first time.

DrKlahn :

Ok. Have all the ink sticks been replaced into their receptacles?

Customer:

Yes. I have almost finish the box that contained 7 sticks.

DrKlahn :

OK. The next thing to do is to run the ink control system resetter. This is done from the service menu and that is always an iffy thing to do, because if anything is done wrong it may lock up the printer requiring Xerox service. I have the procedure if you want to try it.

DrKlahn :

Would you like to try the ICS reset?

Customer:

Yeah. How would I do that? I tried already scrolling up and down, nothing happened.

DrKlahn :

Service Mode is a hidden menu that is hard to get into.

DrKlahn :

Turn the printer off and wait 60 seconds.

Customer:

OK,

DrKlahn :

Turn the power on and wait for the Xerox logo to start moving across the display.

Customer:

ok, just a minute so it would be 60 sec.

DrKlahn :

Before the logo gets to the center, press and hold the Back and ? buttons on the control panel.

DrKlahn :

Hold both buttons untilt he display reads "Beginning Service Mode Initialization."

Customer:

Whare is the back?

Customer:

what do you mean "Back"?

Customer:

I see the button that has "?"

DrKlahn :

Hold one. I am taking a screenshot of the panel.

Customer:

ok

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the image to see it at full size)

DrKlahn :

This is for an 8500 but the 8860 panel is similar.

Customer:

got it. Ok, one sec.

Customer:

it says initialing, should I press and hold now?

DrKlahn :

Too late. Try again from power off.

DrKlahn :

Press and hold the keys just after the Xerox logo starts to move but before it gets to center screen. Hold the keys until it says "Beginning Service Mode Initialization."

Customer:

ok. so when I would press exactly?

Customer:

Bruce, you there?

DrKlahn :

Yes, still here.

DrKlahn :

Customer:

got it, when would i let go

DrKlahn :

You can release the keys after you see "Beginning Srvice Mode Initialization."

Customer:

Ok, I am in diagnostic mode now.

DrKlahn :

One moment while I screenshoot the service manual's instructions for this mode.

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the image above to see it at full scale)

Customer:

ok, so what would I do with this instructions? give it to me step by step, pls.

DrKlahn :

The top level should be the Functions Menu, showing Check All, Activators, Shafts, Fans, etc. Is that what you see?

Customer:

I see: Diagnsotic Menu

DrKlahn :

What is the first option shown on the menu?

Customer:

Then Menu help, exit diagnostic, monitor menu, execise menue, and check menue on first screen

DrKlahn :

OK. You are at the Main menu.

Customer:

Then function menu.

DrKlahn :

Use the UP and DOWN buttons to select the line with the Function Menu. Then press the ENTER button.

Customer:

then?

Customer:

isplay fault?

Customer:

display fault?

DrKlahn :

I am hunting for the option to clear the fault. Even with the screen at full size the type is very small. Please bear with me.

Customer:

yeah, don't send the screenshots, it is too small.

DrKlahn :

I am hunting for the "Clear ICS fault" option and having trouble finding it. Please bear with me. It is supposed to be here.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

i FOULD " Clear ICS FAult" if that is what you are looking.

Customer:

YOu want me to press that?

DrKlahn :

That is is the one. It is supposed to be listed on the service manual list of options and it is not there!

Customer:

Bruce, do you want me to press that button?

DrKlahn :

Go ahead and select that option and press the Enter button.

DrKlahn :

This is a slow operation and will take several minutes.

Customer:

It ask, confirm ISC FAult clear. Should I go?

DrKlahn :

Yes, go ahead with that.

Customer:

Done.

DrKlahn :

When it finishes the operation it should show the main menu again.

Customer:

Previous page, like all the clear function right now.

DrKlahn :

That is not promising. This operation should take several minutes and it is supposed to pull one page of paper through to indicate that it has checked the paper path.

Customer:

Should I test a page?

DrKlahn :

Use the BACK button to go all the way back up to the top of the service menus.

Customer:

k

DrKlahn :

Then choose "Exit Diagnostics" as the option.

Customer:

I am here, starting screen:

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

it is humming

DrKlahn :

Depending on the firmware the printer may shut down or go to the normal startup.

Customer:

It is as if starting, like I always hear when I turn on the printer.

Customer:

It's warming up, just like always does.

DrKlahn :

Let it complete the startup. When it finishes, shut it off and restart it so that it does a normal restart from power off.

DrKlahn :

If it is possible to clear the fault, this will do it.

DrKlahn :

Would you like a copy of the service manual? I'll be glad to put one online for download.

Customer:

OK, this will take sometime, like 3 minutes coz it is completing. So as soon as the completion says 100% I turn it off?

Customer:

it spit out the page that was stuck when it trew a fault.

DrKlahn :

Yes, as soon as it finishes the startup do the normal shutdown to power-off, then restart it.

DrKlahn :

Good, that is promising.

Customer:

Ah, thank goodness.

Customer:

Still 42%.

DrKlahn :

I'm sure that some of these service manuals are written by engineers who never see the actual product and rely on what it was supposed to do and not what it actually does.

Customer:

BTW, what state are you located?

Customer:

It says cleaning

DrKlahn :

I can tell you that I'm located near the Great Lakes, but beyond that I'm not allowed to say.

Customer:

Ah, you are near me. Ohio.

Customer:

Should I let it clean?

DrKlahn :

Yes, let it go ahead with the cleaning.

Customer:

k

DrKlahn :

In a previous life when I was working for a Major Midwestern Manufacturer, we ran entire tape plants with one computer not as complicated as this printer. O tempora, o mores! Times change.

Customer:

Are you familiar with most printers?

DrKlahn :

I tend to gravitate toward Xerox and Canon, as the diagnostics are easier to deal with. Lexmark requires positive acrobatics to get into the diagnostic menu; when it comes to HP, I say "Throw it out and buy an older one that doesn't have time-expiring cartridges."

Customer:

What can you say about PAnasonic?

DrKlahn :

I have never seen one come through the question list, so on that basis they are either very reliable, or very few of them out there.

Customer:

OK, it spit out a page. Shut it down anyways?

Customer:

Man, we fix it it seems. It spit that typical first page!!!

DrKlahn :

Well ... go ahead and try send through a sheet. This should be a normal startup.

DrKlahn :

I always tend to restart the system once on general principles that you never know what a warm start does.

Customer:

One sec. We are in business!!!!!!

DrKlahn :

Glad to hear that. I have just about finished uploading the service manual and in a minute I will be able to give you a link so that you can download your own copy.

Customer:

Bruce, I have many talent. Reading the manual is not one of them! That is what I just subscribe to you guys.

Customer:

How can I save your name here?

DrKlahn :

Bless me, if you had not found that option I would still be looking at the manual and thinking "It's supposed to be here." It was a cooperative effort.

Customer:

Well, you are a savior. I need these prints out for Monday. Now I can continue. I will let you go and you have a wonderful evening.

DrKlahn :

OK. I have instructions for saving this session to a text file; would that be useful?

DrKlahn :

If not, and if you're ready to close this question, let me know and I'll bring in the closing information so that I don't delay you unnecessarily.

Customer:

yes, please. Is there anyway I can contact you if something comes up? I am buying 7 Printer next week. Mama Mia!

DrKlahn :

You can specifically request me as the expert when you start a new question on JustAnswer. For things related to existing questions, you can return to the previous question and enter a follow-up. Follow-ups are permitted for about a month after a question is closed, then the question is archived.

DrKlahn :

One moment and I'll get the saving instructions ...

DrKlahn :

Saving Text from a JustAnswer Session

Customer:

ok

DrKlahn :

The quickest way to "copy" this session is to Bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (Internet Explorer) this web page in your browser. You can then return to this page later at any time. While this is not a printable copy, it is quick and easy.

DrKlahn :

If you would like a permanent copy on your own system, continue with the instructions below. If the instructions appear too difficult, please ask me to transcribe the session for download.

DrKlahn :

Move the mouse pointer to the beginning of the text. Press and hold the left mouse button, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window. The scroll bar drags itself down automatically when the mouse touches the bottom of the window. As text is selected for copying, it changes color.

DrKlahn :

These instructions apply to any Windows PC and to most Mac systems. Leave this session open in the browser. On a PC, start Microsoft Word - or if you don't have Word, go to the Accessories menu and start Notepad or Wordpad. This will be your text editor. Then return to this browser session.

DrKlahn :

When the scroll bar reaches bottom, release the left mouse button. Then press (Windows: CTRL and C / Mac: Apple-key and C) simultaneously. There will be no obvious effect.

DrKlahn :

Now go to the text editor main window, click anywhere within it, and then press (Windows: CTRL and V / Mac: Apple-key and V) simultaneously. The text will paste into the text editor window.

DrKlahn :

Click on the scroll bar at the right of the session window, hold the left mouse button down, and pull the slider all the way up to the top. Release the mouse button.

DrKlahn :

I'll be glad to hold while you do this and confirm that you have a good copy. Please let me know when that is complete. If you are unable to copy using these instructions, let me know -- I'll transcribe the session and make it available for download.

Customer:

Bruce, if you don't mind send me the transcription.

DrKlahn :

No problem. It'll take about two minutes, so please hang on.

DrKlahn :

You can download the transcript at the link above for about the next 30 days.

DrKlahn :

Would you like me to hold while you download and check that you have a good copy?

Customer:

No. Go ahead. Thank you very much.

DrKlahn :

OK. Here's the closing info, then ...

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.

DrKlahn :

The Rating panel is now unlocked, and you can close whenever you're ready. I wish you a pleasant work week upcoming.

Customer:

Thanks.

DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience: BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.