Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Does my Canon MP530 printer support all truetype fonts? I just

Does my Canon MP530 printer support all truetype fonts? I just installed some fonts and I see them in my Control Panel > Fonts, but only half of them appear in my font menu in Word and PPT 2007 (and some of them are TT).
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

Robert M. :

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

Robert M. :

TT is true type so those are ok

Robert M. :

have you rebooted the computer since you installed them ? Usually if you see them in the control panel they should show up in word

Customer:

Yes. I've rebooted.

Customer:

So Canon MP530 supports all truetype fonts?

Customer:

I want to the Canon site and installed the latest printer driver too, then rebooted.

Robert M. :

I would think so. The true type fonts don't get downloaded as an actual font that sits in the printer. They go as instructions on how to print it. so as long as its a true type it should work

Robert M. :

word has issues with new fonts though. Try opening up a new document and see if they show up for that

Robert M. :

It tends to keep the same font set for an existing document that was there when it was created

Customer:

I tried the new doc and still the same thing.

Robert M. :

what operating system are you using ?

Customer:

Windows 7

Customer:

Office 2007

Robert M. :

they show up in the fonts folder as installed ?

Customer:

Yes, they show up in the Fonts folder in the Control Panel as installed. There are 15 there and only 7 appear in my font menu in Word or PPT.

Customer:

When I Googled this issue, Microsoft implies that it has to do with the printer, so that's why I'm chatting with you. :-)

Robert M. :

7 of the new ones or 7 total ?

Customer:

Well at least I know that my (older) printer should support all truetype fonts. Thanks.

Customer:

7 of the 15 that I installed today.

Robert M. :

You can try setting the printer to print them as graphics. Its slower but the printer should accept any true type font if you do

Robert M. :

• Open Control Panel and choose the Printers icon.

• Select the printer from the list box and choose the Setup button.

• The Canon LBP II and LBP III, IBM LaserPrinter 4019, and Olivetti PG306 all have a check box in the lower-left corner (the message reads Print TrueType As Graphics or Enable TrueType Fonts).

• Select the check box, then close the Printer Setup dialog box.

Customer:

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

Robert M. :

you are welcome that posting was from a very old system I am not sure it will still work. But I think it has more to do with Microsoft word than with the printer.

Robert M. :

Do they show up if you switch the printer in the print setup ? or do they show up in something like wordpad ?

Customer:

Checking...

Robert M. :

ok I would be interested to know if they show up in word pad. Or if you try to customize the desktop there are places where you can switch the font. If they don't show up there it is going to be a problem with the font installation not the printer.

Customer:

don't show up in Wordpad

Customer:

ok, I will try re-installing the fonts.

Customer:

Appreciate your help. Bye.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.