Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

I have a HP C8180 printer and I am getting a message that I

I have a HP C8180 printer and I am getting a message that I need to push in the photo tray. I have tried this but the message repeats and the printer is inoperable. There may be the remains of an envelope trapped in the machine and I would like to remove the photo tray to check. How do I go about removing the tray?

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

does the tray seem to click in or does it hit something and not make it all the way in ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tray seems to click into the proper position

It may be a bad sensor, I can get you instructions to clear paper jams and maybe figure out how to take it off but if its clicking in properly that sounds like its not the issue.

what is the exact complete word for word message that you are receiving

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know how to remove the tray.

It looks like it is not designed to come out. You might have to remove the entire printer housing around it. There are probably some snaps on it that you can get to from the bottom or if you remove the housing.

Why don't you try these instructions first however.