Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a Pixma MP780. After replacing a yellow cartridge

I have a Pixma MP780. After replacing a yellow cartridge with a Staples compatible cartridge I constantly get a flashing alarm light and a wrong cartridge message. I have replaced all cartridges. Sometimes the printer will copy/print fine. I have cleaned the print head according to online information, several different versions. I have cleaned the cartridges(above the microchips). After all of the cleaning, the printer worked for about 2 days, then stopped. I do not know if I need a new print head or new Canon cartridges. The cartridges I am currently using are recycled Canon cartridges purchased online from Walmart. My problem, if these items do not fix the problem, I am stuck with them an a printer that does not work. I have not been able to get the printer to work for the last week.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

I am ready.

Shefin :

Please be informed that refilled and not genuine cartridges may cause the printing system to fail,

Shefin :

If that happened, you may have to replace the printhead.

Shefin :

May I know the exact error message you are getting?

Customer:

"Wrong Cartridge"

Shefin :

Open the scanner lid.

Customer:

Scanner lid is open.

Shefin :

Remove all the cartrdiges.

Customer:

Cartridges have been removed.

Shefin :

Open the two Inner Covers.

Shefin :

Raise the lock lever.

Shefin :

Remove the Printhead.

Customer:

Already raised.

Shefin :

Remove the Printhead.

Customer:

Printhead removed.

Shefin :
Clean the contacts on the cartridges, printhead as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means where the printhead seats.
Shefin :
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
Shefin :
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Shefin :

Have you done that?

Customer:

I am working on it.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

I think I have removed it as best I can. I have cleaned the print head many times before and cleaned above the microchips in the cartridges many times. I cleaned below the print head before also, but this time I hope I cleaned better.

Shefin :

Okay.

Shefin :

Insert the printhead properly.

Shefin :

Then, insert the cartridges one by one.

Shefin :

Check all LEDs with the cartrdiges.

Customer:

What do you want me to check?

Shefin :

Are you getting the same error?

Customer:

I was asked to alighn the print head, but the printer will not do that? I am now getting the wrong cartridge message.

Shefin :

Are you able to clean the printhead?

Customer:

I already cleaned the print head about 15 times, only once today. Should I clean it again. Let me just say this. W hen the printer prints or copies it does so perfectly but what triggers it to do so is unknown.

Shefin :

The issue is with the printhead.

Shefin :

Because the error means, either the printhead is not installed properly, or it is damaged.

Customer:

OK, I will clean it again. It is installed properly.

Shefin :

You may have to replace the printhead with a new one to get the issues resolved permanenelty.

Shefin :

Also, please do not use refilled or not genuine cartrdige with the printhead. It will damage the printhead.

Customer:

That sounds great, if someone could tell me that the print head is definitely the problem. Otherwise, I am stuck with a new print head and a printer that will not work. If I purchase 5 new cartridges, about $60, once I open them I will be stuck with them. I don't understand why it intermittently works.

Shefin :

Is the printer too old?

Customer:

What is "too" old?

Shefin :

I mean more than three or four years?

Customer:

Yes, it is 7 years old.

Shefin :

If so, it is better to get a new printer instead of replacing the printhead and cartrdiges.

Shefin :

Foresure, it will work with a new printhead and cartrdiges.

Shefin :

Becuase the error exactly shows what it is.

Shefin :

However, since the printer is old, you may have another issues on your way.

Shefin :
I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear.
Shefin :

But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Customer:

Please do not take this the wrong way, but next time you might advise that if someone has a printer more thn 3 or 4 years old, it is probably a waste of your time and my $ to try to correct he problem online.

Shefin :

Please do not rate as Poor or BAd.

Shefin :

I have tried to help you as much as I can.

Shefin :
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.