Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a MFC-J432W printer that has a black and white stripe

I have a MFC-J432W printer that has a black and white stripe in the menu place plus it keeps making a ringing noise when i don't have a phone attached. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer but it still does not clear the stripe or stop the ringing.

thank you

Valerie
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Change the copy quality to Best mode and press Color(Colour) to start copying. Do the following to change the copy quality:

Michelle :

1. (MFC models)
    Press the Copy button on the control panel.

2. Load your document.

3. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Quality.

4. Press OK.

5. Choose Best and press OK.

6. If you do not want to change additional settings, press Black (Mono) Start or Color (Colour) Start.

<FOR touchscreen models>

1. Press Copy.

2. Load your document.

3. Press the Left or Right arrow to display Quality.

4. Press Quality.

5. Press Best.

Michelle :

If you currently have the Distinctive Ring feature enabled on your machine and you wish to turn it off, follow these steps:

Michelle :

1. Press Menu and choose Fax => Miscellaneous => Distinctive or BT Call Sign or Fax Ability => Off.

2. Press OK to confirm your choice.

3. Press Stop/Exit.

<For touch screen models>

1. Press MENU on the Touchscreen.

2. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Fax. Press Fax.

3. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Miscellaneous. Press Miscellaneous.

4. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Distinctive or BT Call Sign or Fax Ability. (This step might be skipped in some models.)

5. Press Distinctive or BT Call Sign or Fax Ability.

6. Press Off.

7. Press Stop/Exit.

Customer:

I cannot clear the stripe when I press menu so I cannot do what you ask.

Michelle :

are you using genuine brother cartridges or generic ones.

Customer:

generic

Michelle :

how old are the catridges

Michelle :

the model you have is it a touch screen model

Customer:

new. This only started today I cannot get the menu to come up at all.

Customer:

yes it is a touch screen model

Michelle :

1. Press Copy on the screen

Michelle :

load paper if the tray is empty

Michelle :

1. Press the Left or Right arrow to display Paper Type.

Customer:

Maybe not a touch screen model. it has a window and the menu button. I cannot turn it of on the front panel either

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

on the front control panel

Michelle :

do you see a copy button?

Customer:

yes but nothing happens

Michelle :

did you place a paper sheet on the front tray

Michelle :

place a paper sheet and then press copy

Michelle :

tell me it it works

Customer:

the paper tray has paper in it and there is not a place for one sheet NONE of the buttons on the menu work. The printeris only about 1 year old.

Michelle :

paper tray has paper in it right?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

IT IS the window that has stripes on it and I cannot do anything to CLEAR them

Michelle :

if if press copy and then press the arrow keys see if you get an option to choose Quality.

Customer:

NOTHING works when I press ANY BUTTON

Michelle :

pull the power cable out from the printer and let it be turned off

Michelle :

do not use the switch to turn off, remove the power cable.

Customer:

Done but I have done this ALL day and nothing is working .. it would be cheaper to just buy a new one

Michelle :

i will tell you the cause of the problem then we can come to a conclusion if you need a new printer

Michelle :

did you remove the power cable from the printer

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

now push and hold down the power button for 10 seconds without connecting the power cable/

Michelle :

connect the power cable now and open the cover to remove the cartridges

Customer:

ok done

Michelle :

now turn on the power and tell me the error you have on the screen, do not install the cartridges

Customer:

the power is on BUT THERE ARE STILL THE STRIPES ON THE SCREEN and nothing is working

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

i got it now you have stripes on the lcd screen and not on the printout, misunderstood.

Customer:

correct

Michelle :

This is a control panel lcd failure means electronic control panel inside the printer which is connected to the logic board has failed to work, this can happend due to many reasons, it could be power, bad main logic control board or the control panel lcd assembly. In this case the printer would need a repair which might cose more that $100 in this situation i would suggest you to go for a new printer which will be in warranty for 1 year and you will get new cartridges free however a new printer would cost you $105

Customer:

thank you

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below to complete the rating. If you have any question or need more help please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Michelle :

did you check the link i attached

Michelle :

If you have more question or need more info please let me know.

Customer:

We just had a power outage but back on now.

Customer:

Yes i did check the link we have an Office Works close by.

Customer:

Thanks Valerie

Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors