Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

My MX870 is making a rhythmic clicking sound and the "in/use

My MX870 is making a rhythmic clicking sound and the "in/use memory" light is flashing, but nothing prints. After unplugging it for 1 minute, the condition returns. What can I do to clear memory and stop the rhythmic clicking.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Do you see any message on the printer screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no message on the printer screen. It prints when a document is sent for printing, but the rhythmic sound continues and the in use/memory light continues to flash.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Do you see any button with a red triangle inside a circle, on the printer's control panel ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It's the "stop" button. I've pressed it several times with no effect.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Keep the reset button pressed and then press the cancel button for 10 secs. and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What "cancel" button?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Button with the cross sign on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no such botton on the control panel of my printer. The available buttons are "on", "copy", "fax", "scan", "card", "ok", "back", the telephone number pad, "redial/pause", "coded dial", "hook", "black", "color" and "stop".

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
OK, then hold down the reset/stop button for 10 secs. and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No effect (after 20 seconds)

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Please remove the power cord from the printer and wait for 10 mins. after that let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change. "In use/memory" is still flashing, and the rhythmic clicking continues.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Do you use the printer for faxing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
It seems there are fax stored in the memory of the printer, do you want to print them or delete them ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'd prefer to print them, but I'll do whichever is easier would be acceptable.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I am giving a link below, where you will find all the steps to print or delete them, please try them out and let me know the result.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I follow those instructions (press "fax" button, then right function button, the screen advises that "there is no document in memory".

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any memory card inserted in the printer slot ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 1 year ago.
Then, I am very sorry David, it seems the internal memory is corrupt and that's why the printer thinks, there is a fax in the memory for printing, the memory can be flashed from any repair shop for $20 to $40 of charge and your problem will get solved.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing