Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

My MX870 is making a rhythmic clicking sound and the "in/use

My MX870 is making a rhythmic clicking sound and the "in/use memory" light is flashing, but nothing prints. After unplugging it for 1 minute, the condition returns. What can I do to clear memory and stop the rhythmic clicking.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Do you see any message on the printer screen ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no message on the printer screen. It prints when a document is sent for printing, but the rhythmic sound continues and the in use/memory light continues to flash.

Do you see any button with a red triangle inside a circle, on the printer's control panel ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It's the "stop" button. I've pressed it several times with no effect.

Keep the reset button pressed and then press the cancel button for 10 secs. and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What "cancel" button?

Button with the cross sign on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no such botton on the control panel of my printer. The available buttons are "on", "copy", "fax", "scan", "card", "ok", "back", the telephone number pad, "redial/pause", "coded dial", "hook", "black", "color" and "stop".

OK, then hold down the reset/stop button for 10 secs. and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No effect (after 20 seconds)

Please remove the power cord from the printer and wait for 10 mins. after that let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No change. "In use/memory" is still flashing, and the rhythmic clicking continues.

Do you use the printer for faxing ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

It seems there are fax stored in the memory of the printer, do you want to print them or delete them ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd prefer to print them, but I'll do whichever is easier would be acceptable.

OK, I am giving a link below, where you will find all the steps to print or delete them, please try them out and let me know the result.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I follow those instructions (press "fax" button, then right function button, the screen advises that "there is no document in memory".

Do you have any memory card inserted in the printer slot ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Then, I am very sorry David, it seems the internal memory is corrupt and that's why the printer thinks, there is a fax in the memory for printing, the memory can be flashed from any repair shop for $20 to $40 of charge and your problem will get solved.