Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

I have a home wifi setup connecting my Dell laptop to an HP

I have a home wifi setup connecting my Dell laptop to an HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium printer, which is supposed to support Apple Airprint printing. For the past 2 years I've also had an Apple iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 tablet, that I've never been able to get to work with either that printer or the previous HP 8500 printers preceeding it. About a year ago I got the HP e-Print app for the apple devices, which enabled the printing to a limited but not very satisfying degree for them. I recently purchased a refurbished iPad when the old one developed a cracked screen, and was able to restore the old iPad system to the new one, and just discovered yesterday that Airprint now works on the iPad, but still not on the phone. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

The problem may lay with your router if it wont support bonjour which hp likes to use for all apple products. That seems to be the direction apple is going as well so the new iphone may depend on it while the old one didn't need it.

what type of message do you get when you try to print from the iphone ? Does it find the printer at all ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The message I get on the iPhone is that when I select the Print function, it can't find any Airprint printers, This is the same message I got with the previous iPad. The new iPad is a model 2, which is the same as the previous one. The main difference between them is that the new one has iOS version 6.1.3, which is the same as the iPhone. Both are upgraded from iOS vers. 5. I gave up trying to use Airprint last year when I installed the HP e-Print app, and only came across it yesterday by accident. HP e-Print requires that I SEND files in email to my printer's email address for printing, but it truncates the data and reduces the size of it significantly. It has limited usefulness but it was the best I could do. I see now that Airprint prints the same image on the full sheet, and has better quality, and prints directly, and much more quickly than having to send it by email. I don't care about HP e-print if I can get Airprint working on the iPhone. It seems to work very well on the new iPad, I just don't know why, and what I have to do to get it to work on the iPhone. I believe the iPad is the same as the old one, including the settings, which were restored from the old device. Only the iOS has changed from vers 5 to vers. 6.

Of further note: my understanding is that the newer systems DON'T require Bonjour at all; also I have recently switched from an older AT&T DSL modem and a Belkin wireless router for wireless and internet, to AT&T's much faster U-verse High speed Internet wireless gateway for all my wireless and internet access. Does any of this help? Thank you, Kurt.

make sure that the iphone is connected to the internet through the same router that the printer is on. Its pretty easy to have those things stuck in 4g mode and you don't realize its not hooked up to your router
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Robert. I had forgotten that since I don't often use the phone other than for talking or texting, I have WiFi turned off. As soon as I turned it on it connected to the printer just fine. Problem solved.
Thanks again. Kurt.