DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

I have a Canon Pixma 922. I get a vertical line on my scanned

I have a Canon Pixma 922. I get a vertical line on my scanned docs which gets darker with each scan. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a Q&A service not associated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

Customer:

I have a vertical line on my scanned images which gets darker with each scan. I have a Canon Pixma 922. I've tried cleaning the glass but still have the same problem

DrKlahn :

Good evening, and welcome to JustAnswer. The system indicates that you're a new user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a Q&A service, and not the official company support site for Canon's printer division?

Customer:

okay

DrKlahn :

Thank you. I suspect a pixel failure in the scan bar, so let's see if that fits with the problem details.

DrKlahn :

About how wide is the vertical line?

Customer:

about an eighth of an inch, max...it started as a hairlilne

DrKlahn :

Where is the line located?

Customer:

straight down the middle

Customer:

vertically

DrKlahn :

In the exact middle, or off to one side a bit?

Customer:

just one moment...

Customer:

slightly to the right

DrKlahn :

No problem. Proceed at your own pace.

DrKlahn :

Are the edges sharp, or are they fuzzy? This may be hard to determine if the failure started out light and is getting darker.

Customer:

they appear sharp to me

DrKlahn :

This is consistent with a progressive pixel failure starting with one bad scan element on the scan bar.

DrKlahn :

Is the entire line the same darkness or does it shade from center to the edges?

Customer:

wow...i have not had this printer 6 months...the line is dark grey the entire line is the same darkness

DrKlahn :

Without putting the scan bar on the factory's testing equipment this is an educated guess, but I think that one pixel on the scan bar failed, and the failure is progressing outward from there. As each element fails the one next to it then is stressed, and so the failure proceeds outward.

DrKlahn :

This is fully covered under the Canon one year warranty.

DrKlahn :

Depending on where it was purchased, the printer might be returnable to the point of purchase or it might need to go to a Canon repair center.

Customer:

Okay...i will check with canon...it was purchased from a Best Buy

DrKlahn :

Best Buy can be sticky about exchanges if the "extended purchase coverage" is not purchased. In my own opinion that is a waste, since most electronics is covered for a year, and when it is purchased with an American Express or Visa card, the card generally doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

DrKlahn :

Please bear with me a moment while I get you the contact information for Canon's support.

DrKlahn :

By the way, this is not your fault and nothing you did caused it.

Customer:

You have provided excellent service; I still have the manual with the mfg. contact information. THANKS!

DrKlahn :

OK. Here's the online contact link in case you need it:

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

Customer:

No thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need to pay the rest of the fee.

Customer:

I thought maybe there were special cleaning instructions available

DrKlahn :

No, when there is a scratch on the glass it generally looks like a light gray streak on the scan. When that happens it can often be somewhat alleviated with an automotive windshield glass crack filler, but the real solution is to not put any documents with staples on the glass without exercising care that the staples do not scratch the glass.

DrKlahn :

Scanner plates are always glass and never plastic, by the way, because plastic scratches far too easily.

Customer:

thanks!

DrKlahn :

Any household glass cleaner will do to clean a scanner plate as long as none of the solution gets over the edges of the plate. Safer to apply the cleaner to a soft rag than to spray it on the plate.

Customer:

will plain water work?

DrKlahn :

It will, and it will work fine as long as the glass is relatively clean to start with. If any grease or fingerprints are on the glass, either glass cleaner or one drop of detergent in a glass of water will clean it up.

Customer:

okay, thanks.

DrKlahn :

If liquid gets around the edges of the plate it can drip into the electronics, so use cleaner sparingly.

DrKlahn :

Is there any other computer-related problem I might be able to help with tonight? If not, let me know and I'll bring in the closing information so that I don't delay you unnecessarily.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

no...nothing else is needed.

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Here's the closing information, then ...

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.

DrKlahn :

The Rating panel is now unlocked and you can close this question when you're ready.

DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience: BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.