DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

is there a canon repperson in indianapolis ?

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a Q&A service not associated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

Customer:

The first 2 pages of the print job are smudged down the right side of the page. The following pages are clear and acceptable.

DrKlahn :

This sounds like a fuser temperature problem. Is the smudged area firmly fixed to the paper, or can it still be smudged with a finger?

Customer:

It is firmly fixed. Even tried an eraser and that won't remove smudges.

DrKlahn :

OK. This is not a fuser problem, then; it's happening upstream somewhere in the drum area. I can't think of anything that would cause this to happen for the first two pages, and then stop occurring. Not even a wayward scrap of paper should produce a result like that.

DrKlahn :

Nonetheless, it may be profitable to have a look inside that area. If the toner cartridge is removed, and you look inside with a flashlight, is anything in that area that looks out of place, such as a paper scrap?

Customer:

Everything seems to be in place. No foreign objects anywhere

DrKlahn :

Thank you. In this situation I have to say that the best course is to have a Canon service tech look at the unit, so long as the evaluation is not overly expensive. Given that a good used laser printer can be had for less than $200, and a moderately good one for about the same price, that puts a ceiling on the amount you should be willing to pay for service.

DrKlahn :

I'll be glad to locate a local Canon service center for you, if you can give me your ZIP code?

Customer:

46214

DrKlahn :

typo: ... "moderately good new one for about" ...

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Please bear with me a moment while I look that up.

Customer:

zip is 46214

DrKlahn :

There are no authorized Canon dealers in Indianapolis, but there are two within 50 miles and 13 within 100 miles.

Customer:

who are the 2 within 50 miles ?

DrKlahn :

MILLER HUGGINS,XXXXX ANDERSON, IN 46016,(NNN) NNN-NNNN 39 miles.

DrKlahn :

MAXWELL'S BUS. MACHINES, 1915 S. WALNUT STREET, BLOOMINGTON, IN 47401,(NNN) NNN-NNNN 48 miles.

DrKlahn :

The next three are in Cincinnati at 100 miles out, and Warsaw also at 100 miles out.

DrKlahn :

Given that it is some distance from you to the service centers, it is going to be far cheaper to have the evaluation done as a carry-in rather than having them come out. Figure $1/mile or more for a service call to get them to your door.

Customer:

Bloomington is closer for me. Thanks anyway !

DrKlahn :

It's my pleasure, and you're very welcome.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

Customer:

No....I have a problem with the scanning function also but that is secondary to this poor copy quality.

DrKlahn :

As a side note, I have been pricing the MF4350 on ebay to see what they are selling for. It appears that the going price (delivered) is about $150.

DrKlahn :

That puts an even lower ceiling on what you should be willing to pay for repair.

DrKlahn :

One moment and I'll supply a link to that search.

Customer:

Thanks....I'll check that out

DrKlahn :

If service runs over that price, it probably makes more sense to replace the unit than to repair it. If this is the case, be sure that you find out the printed-pages count on the unit before buying it, as you do not want something that has printed a quarter of a million pages.

Customer:

Will do.

DrKlahn :

Can I assist you further today, on this problem or any other computer related issue? If not, let me know when you're ready to close and I'll bring in the closing information so that I dont' delay you unnecessarily.

Customer:

I think that covers everything and am ready to close our conversation.

DrKlahn :

OK. I'm sure you've seen this before, but here's the closing info again ...

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.