Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a Brother MFC-8670DN that is producing dark patterns

I have a Brother MFC-8670DN that is producing dark patterns along the edges of the printed pages. Is there a cleaning process necessary to resolve this and is it something I can do myself?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Is is a line down the side of the page?
If it is, is it in the same spot every time?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it's not a line as much as it is a regular pattern that becomes wider and then narrower along both edges like it's being laid down by a roller.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Is there anyway you could scan it and send it to me?
You can either upload it to tinypic.com and give me the share link or email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with the subject "For Freddy M".
please note if you decide to email it I will need to wait for the site to forward it to me.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have scanned a sample and will e-mail it to you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok please note it can take a little while for the site to forward it to me.
I will reply again as soon as they have.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's on its way

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
I just received it, please print a blank page does the same thing happen?

When was the last time the drum and fuser were replaced?

When the pages feed through do they look like they are curling at all?
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just printed a plain sheet and the same thing happens. I don't know when the drum and the fuser were last replaced if ever. the pages seem the feed and stay pretty flat and straight. can you give me part #'s for the drum and fuser?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If you have never replaced either you would want to replace the drum as it is the most common reason for this type of thing. The part number is XXXXX and is the part you insert the ink cartridges into. You can also get it from here: Click Here The fuser should be looked at only if the same thing happens with a new drum. Normally the drum should be replaced once a year or every 25k pages whichever comes first. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, so you ae saying I should only change the drum first and see if that resolves the issue and if it does not then I should also look at changing the fuser?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes exactly because most commonly this is caused by the drum. The fuser will normally show signs of fading as well (but not always). The part number for the fuser if that does happen is: LU1390001K It is the part that melts the toner from the toner cartridge onto the page. You can get that from here if it ends up being needed: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience