Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a 3250 series printer, there seems to be a large mess

I have a 3250 series printer,
there seems to be a large mess of black ink under the print head, is this normal?
also even when I'm only printing in black the color cartridge is used. Why?
The printer also seems to use more ink than it did when new.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Printers will start to use more ink over time, this is due to the tiny ink nozzles heating up, and the openings slightly expanding.

There are a few things we can do.. Such as telling the printer to print colors in black and white only.. ( use this setting when your printing documents that you do not want to use color.. As even a black and white document will use color if the text has even the slightest hinit of grey in it )

Also, we should update the printers internal firmware.. The software inside that tells it how to put ink on paper, and how much ink to use.

You can download and install the update from the link below.

Now, as far as the mass of black ink. Thats a normal condition if you have printed around 2 to 3 thousand pages.. You probably just need to remove the ink tanks and printhead, and then thoroughly clean the printer.

However, that mess of black ink could also be a sign that you have a leaky black cartridge..

What I would do, is clean the printer thoroughly, and then have the printer perform a printhead cleaning as well.

If you have any further questions, please let me know, as I will continue to assist you as long as needed.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have answered my questions fine, and i did give you a rating.

E. S.