John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My "Devices and Printers" shows that I have two printers.

Customer Question

My "Devices and Printers" shows that I have two printers. It is the only printer I have which is a J430w but one only says (1) printer and the other says (2) printer (copy). My identification code is check mark is shown on the printer (1). I want to change it so the check mark will be on (2) printer. How can I change the check mark?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Have you tried to use your mouse to right-click on the 2nd printer, then set as default?

Please let me know. thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I tried to right click on the 2d printer but it only gave me more information on the Brother.

Sorry, is your printer currently working?

Do you mean the brother printer cannot be set as default? Or is it not working at all?

Do you connect the printer to the computer with the USB cable? Or is it setup via wireless/network?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The printer was working yesterday. I have to connect the printer to a USB cable. I did go back to the devices icon and this time I (right) e clicked the (2nd) computer and pressed the default category and it did change the check mark. Now I will try to print my item and will let you know if it worked. OK

Great. OK, please let me know. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went bacl to the printer and tried to print but now the printer is telling me that my the "Internet went out and Explorer stopped working and the program has closed the item I was trying to print. I don't know what to do now?

I'm sorry, let's try printing something else first, then I will help you fixing the web page printing issue. Are you able to print a Word document file, or a picture file or a PDF file, etc.?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am trying to print a Word document. I tried again and it told me the same thing. Explorer stopped working and the reason was that "appcrash" took place. What do I do now?

I'm sorry. Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check?

If that does not work, can you download and run the automatic printing fix at the website below?
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the "Start/All programs and etc. The computer told me that the System Restore function worked and found no errors. I tried to print my document again and the same thing happened again, the "explorer stopped working and closed the program." Is there anything else I can do? I would read my Brother manual and see if it is OK but I cannot find it, so I don't know what to do Next to correct the problem!

I'm sorry. Did you try my 2nd suggestion yet: can you download and run the automatic printing fix at the website below?

Edit: It looks like you've gone away; please reply back when you are available to continue. We can set up a screen sharing session, so I can check and fix this issue directly for you. Thank you