Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.
27991594

Hello I have an Epson XP 400. Im getting the error message

Hello
I have an Epson XP 400. I'm getting the error message to turn printer off and on again. Did that. Nothing happens. Slight whistling sound when restarted. Cartridges won't move. Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my #1 goal today is to provide you with Excellent Service .

Brief Intro
**When asked to Rate on my Service, and you're ready to Rate, please only select 'Excellent Service'.
**Please note that you are paying for my time in helping you, not whether or not the issue is repairable.

Let's get started

Were new Cartridges recently installed?

See if you can manually move the Cartridges to the center. If you can, remove the cartridges and reinstall them again. Check to make sure that nothing is lodged in the Carriage Track. Let me know if you still have problems.

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cartridges were stuck on the right side. Couldn't budge them. Finally gave a hard knock on bottom of printer. That must have loosened them enough that I could move them. I reseated the cartridges to make sure they were ok. Those were fine. I can now print, however,

Scanner/ copier not working now.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
Ok, good to hear the printing is fixed and working now. What happens exactly when you goto scan or copy something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Print job has been queued. Please wait...

Then Error message:

"Scanner error.

Turn power off and then on again. If the error is not fixed visit Epson.com for Technical support"

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Open the scanner's cover and try it again. Check the Scanner's Light and make sure it's coming on and moving back and forth. What do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No light, no movement. Nothing.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the power cord to the Epson for 20 minutes then plug it back in. This will fully reset the NVRAM memory. Sometimes they can glitch after repairing a previous issue. Let me know how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Was the Scanner working ok before the Cartridge jam issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Everything was fine last night.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
How hard did you hit it to unjam the cartridges? Reason being is because you may have either knocked something loose or the scanner's light bulb is burnt out. Both of which will cause the light not to activate and produce the Scanner Error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not hard at all.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you take a quick look inside the glass and see if any cables came loose going to the scanner's light bulb? Also, check the ends of the bulb for any blackness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see a bulb. The "ribbon" like cable looks ok but I cannot see where it connects

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
The bulb is directly below the glass cover and runs on a track assembly. The ribbon cable will connect to that bulb assembly then down to the main board. The connection at the bulb assembly is what needs to be looked at. If it looks to be ok, the bulb is burn out and the whole assembly would have to be replaced. The cost to buy the parts required would be right at about the same price of a new Epson.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to send you an image of what I see, but it won't let me. I also responded to your email with the same picture. Did you receive it?

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get or see a picture. If you have problems uploading images, you can email them to experts@justanswer.com and let them know it's for me (XXXXX XXXXXndsey). Their normally pretty quick on getting them to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I just sent one.

Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll let you know when they forward it to me.
Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I just received your Picture. Everything appears to be fine which would leave the bulb to be faulty. Everytime the scanner is used, it must pass a light reflection post test before it's allowed to operate. If the bulb is burnt out, it will fail the post test and halt all operations pertaining to that job. I wish I had better news my friend.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Carl L, Master Technician
Experience: Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.