Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Have an error 6500 on my Pixma iP4200 - cannot figure out what

Have an error 6500 on my Pixma iP4200 - cannot figure out what it is -can you help and are you reasonable or not
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer/pearl, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question, and remember you are rating me personally, not the negative rating, please withhold your rating and let me know so I may either close your question or find you another expert to work with. A negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

HI there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the canon,

p0llinate :

Unfortunately, this error code (6500) indicates an internal hardware failure, in almost all cases.

p0llinate :

One thing you may try is to fully reset the printer: With it powered on, pull the power cord directly from the wall outlet, wait at least 15 minutes, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, keep holding another 60 seconds.

p0llinate :

If this reset process does not help, it confirms a hardware failures.

p0llinate :

Specifically, the 6500 code designates a PCI buss error .What this means is that there is a failure/damage to of the ASIC chips on the logic board. While this is something that technically can be repaired, it requires replacing the logic board assembly, but based on the age of the printer (circa 2005), it will not be worth the cost.

p0llinate :

You'd be looking at $200+ for repairs, while the printer could be replaced (with a much better and up to date model) for under $100.

Customer:

Okay, will try , can I print this while you are still on?

p0llinate :

Sure thing

p0llinate :

If you mean can you test this, yes I'll wait while you try.

p0llinate :

You can't easily print our live chat instructions though, if that is what you meant.

p0llinate :

If you'd like help finding a local repair shop, or a recommendation for replacement model, let me know.

Customer:

Yes, and I agree, if this does not work, will need to shop around - do you stay around for the result or what? I guess I would accept a recommendation for rep model!!!!!

p0llinate :

Yes I can wait for you, go ahead and start the reset process (unplugging) and I'll send on some recommendations in case it doesn't work.

p0llinate :

Are you wanting a full size printer (that can do photos and documents) or a dedicated photo printer for photo size prints only?

Customer:

One that can do both - I have an old HP which does most of the work, but it could probably go to printer heaven any time also

p0llinate :

You're probably right about that,

p0llinate :

Personally, I don't recommend the Canon (or even HP) units much anymore, they aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be. I usually recommend either Epson or Brother units for home/small business use. Epson tends to have a bit better print quality, but Brother tends to use less ink and the refills are much cheaper.

Here are 2 models you might consider:

Epson WorkForce WF-3540 (click for link)

Brother Printer MFCJ825DW (click for link)

Customer:

Thanks - started your suggestion and will let you go.

p0llinate :

You're welcome. Just let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,
Natahn

p0llinate :

*Nathan

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.