Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

brother mfc-9120cn printer and and toner error message on

i have a brother mfc-9120cn printer and an error message will not go away that of replace toner. I have shut unit on and off. I have reset in printer menu. I have taped off toner ports to fool printer into thinking it was full and i still cant get the error message off and the yellow light from blinking. It says to replace toner and all colors. Im at my wits end what should i do. However it does print for me but i would like that error message to go away. The black toner is not a genuine Brother product but has been working for six months no problem Felix

Category: Printers
Expert:  Lee Carr replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for choosing just answer/pearl!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to attempt to help you as much as i can with your printer issue.

Please try the below reset. If this does not work it is because the chips in your toner have not been reset by the re manufacturer. It is always advisable to use original toners as re manufactured toners are of a much lower quality.

Press Menu.

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Machine Info.. Press OK.

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Reset Menu. Press OK.

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose the color of the drum you replaced. Press OK.

Press 1 to reset the drum unit counter.

Press Stop/Exit.

If the above has helped solve your printer issue, please don't forget to accept and rate my answer.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
your info was incorrect. The reset feature is not under Machine Info. and i already mentioned i tried the reset feature which is under Printer in Menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i already tried that. Reset feature is not in machine info category its under printer category

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where are you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 1 year ago.
Hi there my name is Colin

Your previous expert is offline but as you have re listed your question i think i can help you if you wish me continue with the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do you need to know. read my statements!!!

Hi

You mentioned you went in the reset menu before asking your question. Just so i know what you have done already can you briefly mention what you have reset thus far.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on the menu there is a reset function. i tried it and still nothing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the chat forum. this is not working

Ok thanks.

What happens is that the toner can need replacing either by low toner level or by a page count (called a toner life end).

If it ended by page count the counter is meant to reset to 0 when a new toner is inserted via a gear on the toner pressing a button in the printer. If the gear is out of alignment the process doesn't happen hence the replace toner remains.

In anticipation of that there is a hidden toner reset menu for toners in the printers software. Follow the instructions below and fingers crossed it should clear your issue.

Step 1 - Open the front cover of the printer (where you gain access to the toner carts)

Step 2 - Press the "CLEAR/BACK" button on the printer with the door open which should take you into the toner reset menu

Step 3 - Use arrows to select toner in question that was replaced. There will be 2 entries for each color.(STD or STR -Standard or starter, your is probably STD but reset both if unsure)

K.TNR-STD - (K is black)
K.TNR-STR
C.TNR-STD
C.TNR-STR
M.TNR-STD
M.TNR-STR
Y.TNR-STD
Y.TNR-STR

Then select ok

Step 4 - Select option #1 "Reset".

Step 5 - LCD will read "accepted

Then close the cover and the warning should be gone.

Let me know if you have any problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hallelujah!!!!! the light is off. Thanks but my prints have black on the edges of the paper. How do i get clean prints?

I thought that would do it.

That same reset menu is hidden in most Brother lasers so keep it up your sleeve for another time.

The black is possibly from excess toner if it was the black cartridge you replaced. It shakes some loose from the cartridge in the process. I would run through some more pages and see if it clears up first. If it doesn't clear try cleaning the corona wire on the black drum.

It's a simple tab you slide side to side and return to it's home position. (see pic below)

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have tried that. how can we go to chat room instead of emails? its hard trying to open email everytime

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its still the same. Ill try another toner cartridge?

We cannot go to chat from Q and A although we have requested the option.

I suspect you may have a rogue cartridge. If you have the old one you may find it now works having reset the page counter, at least for a short time.

Give it a little shake and re insert the original and see if the issue clears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its a little better now i have a solid black line on right edge 1/2 in wide what can i do ?

Is the corona cleaning tab in the right place ? If it is not back in the home position (marked by an arrow on the cartridge) it will cause a black line below it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats it!! thanks that got it. How do i check my toner levels with the program or on the computer?

From memory you can print a report from the printer menu called "supplies" which has the toner details printed onto it.

I can double check that if you have time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Just checking the manual now.
There is no mention of it in the manual having looked but i have a MFC 9420 here which is very similar and that has a supplies status page which shows levels.

Whether the 9100 series does not have that option i need to confirm but i can post it up as soon as i find out and you will get the email notification rather than having to wait online.

Could find no info to confirm or deny whether you can check consumables on that model so checked with the Brother sales guys and they say there is no toner level check on that series (9100).

sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there s no heading saying "supplies" Whats my alternate word

Not sure if you saw my last reply.but i checked with Brother sales and your model does not have the supplies monitor unfortunately.

The only warning you get for toner is when it tells you it is low on the screen. I was quite surprised that there was no status monitoring but having found no mention of it in the manual i suspected it might be so. The 9400 series up get the status monitoring.

Sorry.
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience: City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for finding out. I put some tape on the toner level ports. Should I remove that , will it hurt anything? I did that to fool the machine.

The tape won't hurt anything but you won't get a low toner warning with it there.
The first sign of low toner will be feint printouts or if the page count reaches the toner end of life as happened before. - Replace toner error

The tape blocks the optical sensor from looking into the cartridge and monitoring it's level.