Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

Hi, I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 a909, it keeps aligning

Customer Question

Hi, I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 a909, it keeps aligning the printer after every print job and then I get a message that the alignment failed. Also, it isn't printing the magenta.. I just purchase an original HP ink cartridge (magenta), so there is ink in the cartridge. I also get a message when I turn on my computer that the HP Imaging Monitor has stopped working. The other day I got a message when I turned on the computer that the WMI Provider host stopped working. I hope I haven't asked to many questions. Thank you!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. First, we will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix. Please do not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time even after rating by clicking on reply to expert. Please also note, some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control (though I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX was). If you get stuck with any of these steps click on reply to expert and let me know, I will be happy to walk you through it.

Before we work on the computer end let's first work on the printers alignment/magenta problem.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If it is Open the machine and remove the ink cartridges then look inside with a flash light and make sure nothing is in the path of the carriage.
Then turn off the machine and wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and wait for the insert cartridge message. Then reinsert the cartridges into the machine.
Then move the cradle back and forth a few times manually by hand.
Then close the cartridges access door and turn the machine off.
Then unplug it and wait 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes plug it back in and turn it on.

If it is still there after that it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page and is also used to detect the cartridges. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself.

Just in case before replacing that part The next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but the kits are not specific to any one brand every kit comes with the same thing. A solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

After all the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue. I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced, excess use or using generic inks can also cause this. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The second item you wanted me to try, do you mean the print heads or the ink cartridges again?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The print head is the part of the machine you are inserting the ink cartridges into. So if you mean the part to manually move it, it should be both with the cartridges inside the print head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My ink cartridges are separate from the Print Heads

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
There is only one print head, the print head is the part of the machine you insert the ink cartridges into.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I have 2 print heads one is for the black & yellow and the other one is for the magenta and blue.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Let me try to explain it another way, there is only one print head in the machine. It is the part you insert the cartridges into. It has separate slots for each cartridge but is one whole part. It has separate nozzles for each cartridge which is why they have there own slots.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you explain your second thing you wanted me to try. The paragraph started with "It is Open the machine" Thank you!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you followed the first set of steps and it still doing the same thing with the magenta this will force it to re-check for any problems. Turn off the machine. Put the cartridges back in the machine if they are not already. Then manually move the print head (cradle the cartridges are in) back and forth three of four times. Then leave it in the middle of the bar it slides across. Then turn the machine back on. It should detect the print head in the middle and check for any problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I did all that and it started checking the device and then it started cleaning the printhead. Then it aligned the printer the sheet printed and the magenta printed but very, very light, then it said the alignment failed.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it printing light like that means the nozzle for the magenta is clogged. The cleaning kit I mentioned before should be able to clean the clogged ink out of it. The alignment will fail until the nozzles are all working properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will try that.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, after that when the alignment page prints correctly scan it and it should stop aligning after every print. If you have any questions just let me know by clicking on reply to expert and I will be happy to answer them. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to have you help me with my other questions.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The HP image monitor correct? Do you use that program at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm not sure what that is.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it's HP software that constantly monitors the computer which is not needed if you do not use it. We can disable it from automatically starting up which should stop this from happening. You can still start it manually if you ever need to. I just need to know what version of windows you are using.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Windows Vista. Then about the WMI provider host stopped working?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Click on start and then in the search box type in msconfig.exe and press enter.
On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Click OK, and then click Restart. Your computer will then restart. You can then go back and check them each one by one (restart after each one) to pin point exactly which one is causing the error. Or you can leave them all disabled it's completely up to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will do that. Thanks. Will that take care of the WMI Provider host problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will that happens when there is a problem with a program trying to start up with windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and I hope you have a wonderful day.