Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator

I am trying to connect my new canon pixma mg3220 printer to

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my new canon pixma mg3220 printer to my Linksys E4200 router and then to my iPad2(already on the network). I've clicked on/held the maintenance button on the printer, then clicked on the Fit to Print button and see the flashes in the display. Then I click and hold the WiFi Protected Setup button on the rear of my E4200. After 60+ seconds the printer display reads E-2-1.
My router and my printer are 2 foot apart.
Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

Lets try to add the printer to your network manually, without using the WPS button.

Im assuming that you know the logon password XXXXX your wireless network, and the network name.. ( The same ones you used to connect the Ipad via wifi)

Lets connect the MG3220 printer to your computer, use the installation disks.. and then follow these steps to re run the wireless setup.

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/wireless/Router_change_MG3220_win.pdf

Once we have connected the printer to the wireless network, the ipad should be able to see it and use it.

let me know if you get stuck or run into any issues, Thanks!

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want to connect the printer to my PC. I want the printer to use what Apple calls its "AirPrint." After configuration/setup, the printer will be used exclusively with an iPad2.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I understand that..

My intentions arent to use it with the PC.. We are just using the PC, in order to get the Canon printer on the network itself.. ( since the WPS button isnt working)

Once we use the computer to get the canon on the network.. You can disconnect the computer and it wont be needed any more.. The computer and the software disk are just another way of getting the printer to join the network .. I hope that makes sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, give me a minute to get the wiring in place and the software loaded.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem , take your time.. And if you run into any issues, dont hesitate to send me a message.. Im here to walk through the process with you.. Not just send a set of steps and wait for you to do them on your own.

So send a reply if y ou get stuck.. Im here to help.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, software is installed and the software did its autorun thing. It got to the point of trying to detect access points. I do not see my access point listed.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Lets try on the printers control panel itself..

These steps may not be exact, so you may have to look around a bit.. But generall speaking this is how we should proceed.

On the printers control panel, click settings, then maybe network settings,

it may next go into wlan settings, or possibly a wireless setup wizard.

This should allow you to select the wireless network from the printers control panel

And then, it should ask you to enter the network password, wep key, or wpa key.

Once the printer is connected.. The ipad should be able to see it.. But lets try to work through the wireless network setup on the printer.. Let me know if your able to make it that far and get it connected.. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's the problem, Dustin. The printer control panel is very very basic - only shows the number of copies and a wireless access indicator. The printer does not have a configuration capability like most other printers. To setup wireless, you press the Maintenance key on the printer until you see an indicator in the window, then press the "Fit to Print" key after which you are supposed to press the WPA button on the router to get the router to see and talk with the printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any other ideas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

R U There Dustin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin - Its been nearly 45 minutes since you last sent me a response. if you are not able to continue with me, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am disappointed that Dustin left me hanging for nearly one hour. Not very good service and I'll submit a complaint as I am really not satisfied with this service at all.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies.. I just sent a reply at 430.. It must not have went through. Im having technical difficulties with the hotel internet im using.. ( currently traveling)

Let me try to send this again.

Since your printer doesnt have the settings panel on it.. Lets focus on the software itself.

The computer that your using to try and configure the printer with, is it a windows xp, vista, windows 7, or a mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nah...I just gave up and asked for a refund. I waited one hour since the last reply.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry.. I cant help that my internet dropped out..

I will also send in the refund request, which should help speed up the process.