Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience

Hi - I have a Canon MG5300 series printer but it has stopped

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Canon MG5300 series printer but it has stopped being able to connect wirelessly. I am on Windows 7 and I can download the driver successfully from the Canon website, but it says printer not responding when I try to print. If I try to add device through Windows it says 'printer installation failed'
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXXX. X look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. First, we will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix. Please do not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time even after rating by clicking on reply to expert. Please also note, some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control (though I sincerely XXXX XX was). Do you have another computer currently working with the printers wireless set up? How are you trying to add the printer in windows 7 when you get installation failed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - I only have the one computer. I have tried to install via the Canon website which says the driver installs ok but then doesn't solve the problem. When I try to install using the 'add device' within Windows I get the error message 'the printer installation has failed'

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
When you use the add printer wizard are you choosing local or networked? Do you know the printers network configuration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Networked - not sure what you mean about the network configuration. It is on the wireless router I use to connect to the internet

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
How did you connect it to the router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The printer has wireless, so I connect from there. It connects ok to the network - at least it says it does. I have tried it on the manual (using the WPA password) and automatic modes to see if that makes a difference but both seem to work from that end.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok connect it manually please to your network. Then it should print out a network configuration page. Does it do that? It may give you the option while connecting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it didn't give me an option to print it. I searched through the menus and there was one for printing the LAN network details, which I did - all looks ok. Only 'Disable' settings for Proxy Server and IP Address Filtering - not sure if that is normal or not. WEP Key Length also says Inactive, with authentication saying WPA2-PSK, but it picks up the right SSID and IP address

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Does it have the printers TCP/IP Settings on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes - IPv4

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok let's try adding the printer using those settings.
Go into the add printer wizard but choose local instead of networked.
Then click on create a new port, and choose tcp/ip.
In the hostname/ip address box type in the printers ip address from that page.
Put a check in authentication required if its not already.
Click next and choose the driver you originally installed by clicking on have disc (you can point it to a downloaded file).
Click next and choose use the driver currently installed.
Then follow the rest of the steps on the screen that come up from there. Before rating if my answer does not work click on reply to expert and let me know so we can continue. If it does work please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - interesting, it cannot find the TCP/IP address. I tried to force it through but it didn't fix the problem. It says the device is not found on the network

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That's odd using this method should force them to see each other on the network. Van you please try power cycling/restarting all 3 devices and then try it one more time? Power cycling just means unplugging it for a few minutes. Leave the computer off while connecting the printer to the router. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. I tried this and surprisingly something I had tried to print earlier printed while my laptop was firing up again. But then when I tried again I had the same problem, not being able to find the TCP/IP address

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
After all the troubleshooting we have done I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the NIC (network interface card) in order to fix this issue. I wish there was another way but with everything you have told me I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is while using the TCP/IP settings it should force the machine and laptop to connect to each other. It sounds like it did that but lost the connection immediately which indicates the part is failing and needs to be replaced. This can sometimes be expensive to replace so I would call around for a price first. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I empathize, but can only give honest information about the problem. Please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would that not impact my internet connection as well? That works fine via the same router?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It would only affect the connection of the printer to devices on the network. To be 100% sure you could ask a friend, or family member with a laptop to try installing it on their machine as well to see if it does the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that. Should it be possible to connect to it from an iPad2?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about that to be honest iPad's sometimes are picky about what type of printers they will use and sometimes need apps for it. For example to print from an iPad using a wireless HP printer you need the ePrint app installed. I have not yet had to try installing a Canon MG series on one though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have downloaded the Canon app and it cannot communicate with the IP address either... is there anything else this can be?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no if the same thing is happening on another device that means it is indeed the NIC inside the printer I mentioned before. This can sometimes be expensive to replace so I would call around for a price first. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I empathize, and wish I could give you better news but can only give honest information about the problem. Please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for continuing to follow this up - I just want to be sure we have exhausted things before going to the shop. I have tried pinging the IP address (192.168.1.83) and it says Destination host unreachable. When I pinged the Default Gateway (192.168.1.254) I got a response - what does this mean?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Pinging sends packets to the devices under those IP addresses on the network. The default gateway is the address of your router on your network. Getting a response means you were able to see the router. Not getting one and it saying unreachable means it was not able to see the device in order to connect to it and send it packets. Unfortunately that would also indicate a failing NIC. Ask as many follow ups as you would like, I am happy to explain anything.