Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor, Technician
Experience:  10 yrs experience owning a computer business.

For some reason my epson sx425W has stopped printing in black

For some reason my epson sx425W has stopped printing in black ink.
I've tried the head cleaner,and changed the cartridge but still no joy.
Any suggestions,please??
Hi and Welcome to Just Answer/Pearl, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you with your issue today. Please rate my answer at the end of the session.

In this situation the print head will most likely need to be replaced.

When all head cleans fail and the black still isn't printing this means the jet has malfunctioned for the black and not allowing it to pass. With a removable print head which has a lever to the right of the head you can remove it and clean it with bottled water and a soft cloth. the cloth should be barely damp. Wipe all the contacts and inside and out until no ink comes off. (don't touch contacts with your bare fingers)

Reinstall it and see if it works. If not you WILL need to replace it to remedy the situation.

Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that,but I can't see a lever to the right of the head.

I have just been looking at the service manual and your print head isn't user replaceable.

The only way this can be accomplished is by a service center or repair shop as it is very involved and requires dismantling the printer. Sorry to tell you that Alan and I know its very inconvenient to say the least.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

What I have done is taken all the ink cartridges out and gently wiped the contacts,and it seems to have done the trick.

At the moment,it's working ok...and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help,and bye or now.

Your welcome Alan, it should keep going! Make sure you wipe the contacts inside the print head too, it will give you much more time until it happens again!

Thanks Mike