Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience:  5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator
19897260

Cant get my HP Officejet J4680 back up on my wireless network.

Can't get my HP Officejet J4680 back up on my wireless network. Was fine but printed docs but gave me the FAX screen when I tried to print pictures. Can't find the installation disc...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you today.

Do you use Windows Xp, Vista or 7 ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

XP on my laptop

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Please follow the steps below on your laptop and let me know.

Click Start and select Printers and Faxes

Printers and Faxes window will open.

Let me know the name of the icons, that you can see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, it's Vista, not XP

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Then, follow the steps to open the printer folder and let me know the name of the icons, that you can see.

Click the Start (windows) icon.

Click Control Panel.

Click Hardware & Sounds.

NOTE: This step is not required when using Classic view in Windows Vista.

Click Printers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

using the Hardware, Printers, it lists a whole bunch of HP printers, but it goes from HPOfficejet 4300 series to 5500 series (no 4600 series)

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have ever used , so many models in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have used both of them, a lot. The 4500 is USB connected to my desktop (which I am using for this chat now), and the 4680 is a wireless one which worked until Tuesday this week when it would print documents but not pictures??

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Where do you see the printers' list, on the laptop or desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the laptop

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Do you see "Add a Printer" in the laptop's printer folder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have been all through that....

I have to run an errand for my wife, can we continue this later?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
No Problem, as you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'm back.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I have to go offline for the day, but don't worry, I will forward your questions to other experts, so that they can continue with you. Please do not respond to this reply, because that will lock the question in my name and no other expert will be able to reach you quickly.

Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

To be clear.

The HP 4500, connected to your desktop via a usb cord, works fine.

Its just the Officejet J4680 that you cannot get reconnected to your network?

Is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that's true. My wife's laptop will print wirelessly from the J4680 and mine used to but won't now.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

So currently, your wifes laptop prints wirelessly without any issues, to the J4680, and its only your computer that wont print to it.

Before i write any repair procedure, can you verify that her computer is still working and printing wirelessly to the J4680.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep, it's great!

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Excellent.

So we know the router is working, and the printer is working wirelessly. We just need to get your computer in line again.

Ok.

you have XP on your laptop correct?

Click "Start" then "Printers and Faxes".

. When the "Printers and Faxes" window appears, right-click on your J4680 printer and choose "Delete".

If you have more then one copy of the J4680, delete each copy.

Once all are removed..

Next, download this file.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-88608-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3692888&sw_lang=

once downloaded.. Run the file ..

When its installing.. Do not click install USB device.

Click install network or wireless device instead.

If you view the video below, from the 3:00 minute mark.. It starts and shows the exact screens you will see to complete the wireless install of that printer..

http://www8.hp.com/h20621/video-gallery/us/en/customer-care/printers-and-all-in-ones/networking-and-wireless/1245169408001/hp-officejet-j4680-wireless-setup/video/

If you run into any issues during the removal, download, or the install process. Let me know specifically what issues you run into, so I can help you get past them.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the submit button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to submit your rating and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got up to find printer and it didn't. Wife's laptop still has it and printed a test page just now. So, do I need to got get a usb cable and connect my laptop to the printer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

didn't find the printer. Did the turn off/disconnect printer and router, still no find??

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting to you.

I just signed on at 215, and had a lot of messages to catch up.. Yours was the last one in my chain.

In an effort to resolve this issue, I would like to offer you a remote support session.. What a remote support session does is allow me to connect to your and to your computer, and then I can manually see whats happening from here, and then make the neccessary changes while you observe. Our remote software that allows this one time connection is secure, and easy to use.

Would you consider remote support as a viable option to allow us to resolve your issue more expediciously and efficiently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes!

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

To get connected, click the link below. ( from your computer, the one we need to fix for wireless printing)

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=bc365a76-c6b6-49a1-863a-028c6f89ffbc&SUPPORT=NET

accept the remote support terms.. Then, install the software.. If your antivirus asks you to allow it, please do so.

Once installed, make sure to click join on the software.

then send me a reply here saying " I have joined"
Or, Im having issues downloading, installing, joining.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm connected now, waiting for you to take over.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Connecting to you now.. ( was having issues with my internet earlier this morning, and needed to reset my router and modem again)

Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
In our remote session we found the cause of the printer issue.

We needed to click your wireless icon, click network and sharing

click show connected computers and devices ( top left corner)

then right click your HP J4680 printer, uninstall it.

Then go to start, click printers, click add printer, click add network printer.

Click on the hp printer when its found. click next and install it.

That will repair the issue should it come back ( though I dont think this should happen anytime soon, or possibly, again at all. )

If you have any further questions let me know, at this time it would be normal to rate teh service I provided and the accuracy of the solution. ( did it fix the issue or not)

You rate by clicking the icons below, and then clicking on submit.

Thanks,

D.Sandlin

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/
Dustin, Hardware Specialist
Experience: 5 Years in The US ARMy as a Network Switching Systems Operator