Printer Expert
Printer Expert, Printer Pro
Experience:  Expert in all major brands and models.
47701907

I have Brother HL5370DW printer attached to network. Every

Customer Question

I have Brother HL5370DW printer attached to network.
Every couple of days, it suddenly stops working, and I discover that it has somehow switched itself from ethernet mode (which is my setup) to Wireless mode (which I don't use). When this happens, it is very hard, almost impossible, to get the darn thing working again. Usually, what happens is that I delete all versions of the printer (Windows 7) and reinstall. When I send a test page, the Devices and Printers window says that the printer is "active" and that a document is in the queue, but nothing prints. After a few minutes, the status changes to "Error-printing". End of story.

Windows diagnostic tools say that there is a problem with the printer, but cannot tell me what it is.

Interestingly, I can print to this printer just fine, from other computers on my network -- just not from my primary computer (Windows 7). So what is going on? This has been driving me crazy for weeks, and I have tried everything I can think of. Usually, after a while, it starts working again, but I don't know if it "just fixed itself" or if some of my random tries did something.

Need help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Expert replied 1 year ago.

printerexpert :

printerexpert :

how far is the printer from the router?

printerexpert :

did you reset the wireless network setting on the printer?

Customer:

1. The printer is about 15 feet from the router

Customer:

2. I tried to -- by holding down the start button for 10 seconds. That usually resets the setting, but this time it does not appear to have worked the first three tries, then suddenly did work

Customer:

It's set to ethernet now, but still will not print

printerexpert :

uninstall the printer program from the add remove program and then reboot the computer.

Reset the printer not the router.

press the menu button and use the > key to scroll to network press ok and then use the >key to go to wirless network press ok then then again >key to go to reset and press ok it will reset the printer.

printerexpert :

after rebooting the comuter try installing the printer back again it will never come up with a problem till anything is manually changed.

printerexpert :

If you want i can remote access and do the job for you.

Customer:

I NEED to learn how to do this successfully. It has happened before and it will happen again

printerexpert :

its very simple i gave you the steps.

printerexpert :

these steps will be there in your justanswer email you can browse it anytime you want.

printerexpert :

and i can remotely show you how to fix too.

Customer:

step 1: uninstall the "printer program" (what is this?) from the add/remove program and then reboot.

assuming I can figure out the first part, I will lose contact with you as soon as I reboot. I want to print out your list of instructions, but of course I can't! But I saved the list in a document, and will hope to return after reboot. Wish me luck!

printerexpert :

what windows are you using?

printerexpert :

xp, vista or win7?

Customer:

windows 7

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I removed printer and rebooted.

printerexpert :

did you reset the printer too?

printerexpert :

not the router.

Customer:

Interestingly, as soon as printer rebooted, printer printed out a correct windows 7 test page!

printerexpert :

good.

Customer:

The only way I know to reset the printer is to hold down the Blue GO button for 10 seconds. Is this what you mean?

printerexpert :

no

Customer:

?

printerexpert :

nevermind is it printing now, did you connect wifi.

Customer:

I don't want wifi, I want ethernet.

Customer:

It printed a test page. I will now try to send a real print job

printerexpert :

sure

Customer:

no -- can't print anything because printer is still uninstalled. what do I do now? every time I have tried to reinstall printer, it fails

Customer:

don't know what device I want -- instructions confusing to me

Customer:

the printer shows up in devices and printers, but with an exclamation mark and an error notice. I can remove it, but where does THAT leave me?

printerexpert :

click on start devices and printer

printerexpert :

you have a yellow triangle on the icon.

Customer:

yes

printerexpert :

dont worry,

insert the printers disk and install the printer.

Customer:

from scratch again? for the 20th time? ok will do it now!

printerexpert :

its because the computer is detecting the printer but doesnt have the driver.

printerexpert :

may be you have done this before i willl give you a troublshooting guide for this printer on network keep it saved on your favourites, anytime you can refer to it.

Customer:

OK I reinstalled the printer again. It appears in the printers app but it says "printer is offline"

Customer:

That's what it usually says when it won't print

printerexpert :

is the printer online by the way.

Customer:

it SHOULD be -- how can I tell? It SAYS it's offline in the app. How else can I tell if it is or not?

Customer:

the green light on the printer is ON

printerexpert :

can i check the problem using remote access.

Customer:

Sure, if you can

Customer:

How do we do this?

printerexpert :

click on the link and run the remote tool.

Customer:

I did. It ran a circle a few times, then disappeared from my desktop

Customer:

Is that what's supposed to happen? I never did this before

Customer:

Should I try it again?

printerexpert :

yes try again

printerexpert :

Click on the link and the run the Elsinor remote tool.

printerexpert :

please wait

printerexpert :

i am connected now.

Customer:

ok now what?

printerexpert :

run the remote once again.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what is happening?

printerexpert :

connecting now

printerexpert :

takes few mins

printerexpert :

Me: insert the printer disk in the drive.
Guest: actually, I have a copy of it in a directory, and usually use that. Is that ok?
Me: can you open that please
Me: ok thanks
Me: can you open the patch where firefox saves the downloaded files
Me: i mean path
Me: did it print fine?
Guest: i think so -- it printed something
Me: its all set now please confirm
Me: printer few thing from your side
Guest: ok. stand by....\
Me: thanks
Guest: ok it worked
Me: great
Guest: it is fixed for now
Guest: thanks
Me: it is fixed now
Guest: but can i repeat this process when it goes down again?
Me: i have saved a network diagnostinc tool
Guest: good
Me: on the desktop you can just run the file it will do everyting if the printer is down/
Me: let me show you
Me: run that tool it will fix it
Guest: ok
Guest: not now?
Me: let me documetn this chat on the main chat window
Guest: thanks
Guest: this has driven me nuts for several months
Guest: hopefully you have not only fixed it but shown me how to fix it again when it goes down again
Me: yes sir i provide all necessary info to my cutomers
Guest: wow!
Me: please open your justanswer email and rate my service.
Guest: you did great!
Me: thanks.

Printer Expert, Printer Pro
Experience: Expert in all major brands and models.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, again.

I am still having trouble with this printer/computer combination. When I booted up this morning, the printer would not print again, though it was ok when we stopped last night.

I tried to repeat all the steps we took, following a printout of our chat session. It did not succeed, and I don't know what step(s) I was misapplying.

Interestingly, my wife's computer (a Windows 7 laptop) and my secondary computer (an identical windows 7 laptop) have no difficulty printing to this same printer -- and as far as I can tell, they are set up the same as my main computer (windows 7 desktop).

I completely removed the printer and reinstalled it, but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

shermo

Hi, i am sorry to hear that the printer is not working, please dont worry we can get it fixed.

run a tool first before we proceed with the installation of the printer driver and network setup.

You can download combofix which is a powerful tool which will remove any spyware or malaware infections from the computer and will fix the registry tweek which is not allowing the driver to be installe after this tool has finished scanning and removiing the infections then you can run any antivirus program a full system scan please make sre to run the antivirus update before running.

download combofix and then click OK to continue you will see messages from combofix to disable your antivirus Please DO NOT disable the anti-virus, just click OK to go on and you might have 3 different OK boxes which will pop up, and if it ask to download the recovery console just click no.

Run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

COMBOFIX DOWNLOAD

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report.

Incase you need a guide open the link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have completed all the steps above. After reboot, attempted to install printer. It "installed" but failed to print the test page. I would like to send you three attachments, but for now (till I hear from you) I will send only the output text file from the run of combofix. The other two items would be images (screen captures) from the attempt to print a test page after "installation".

This seems to be a stubborn one!

please give me a time when you can be online with me so that i can remote access and check the problem myself and fix it. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am available most evenings between 8 and 10 pm (Los Angeles time zone), but other times can be arranged. Please let me know what will be convenient for you, and I will set aside a block of time -- I think this may take a while!.

i am available now and will be online another couple of hrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got discouraged and gave up. After almost a month, I still cannot print from the computer I was then using. I just use other printers, but it is definitely a PITA.

Nothing worked. You tried hard, and I did what you suggested, but the printer remains invisible to THAT ONE computer on my LAN. Furthermore, that computer seems to be infested with a tenacious virus that calls itself AVG (but probably isn't), and I can't get rid of that, either -- it keeps coming back. A previous expert helped me get rid of it once, but it came back.

I am about ready to restore back to a Restore point back in June. If that doesn't work, I may have to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

Any suggestions?

Sherm

system restore will not get rid from the infections.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/

Click on the link and download the combofix file then you run it this should take care of the malacious programs