Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

An MFC-210C printer showing a message "unable to clean" then

An MFC-210C printer showing a message "unable to clean" then "refer troubleshooting in manual" But I am unable to correct even after following manuals procedure. Can this be fixed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you today.

Do you have tried to clean the print head, to solve this problem? or anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes by following manual instructions that is

ink management>cleaning>menu/set. But message comes back "unable to clean"

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.

The message "Unable to -" ( "Unable to Change" "Unable to Clean" "Unable to Init" "Unable to Print" "Unable to Scan" ) is a general message and may appear for different reasons.

To clear the message, you need to disconnect the Brother machine from the power outlet to check the machine. As a first step before you start to follow the steps to clear the message, we recommend you check if the machine has faxes in its memory following the steps below:

Step1: To clear the message follow the steps listed below:

1. Check for foreign objects, such as a paper clip or scrap of paper, inside the machine.
    Unplug the machine from the power outlet and open the scanner cover by pulling up on the lower right corner of the cover. Look inside the machine and remove any foreign objects. If you see jammed paper or another item inside this area, gently pull it out and then close the scanner cover securely.

Caution

<if applicable>Before you unplug the machine from the power source, you can transfer your faxes that are stored in the memory to your PC or another fax machine so you will not lose any important messages. For details, please see the instructions in the Step2.

1. If the error continues to appear, the machine may have a mechanical problem.
    If the error message continues to appear, the machine will need to be reset. Resetting the machine will erase all faxes in memory and the Fax Journal Report. Please make sure you have followed the instructions in the Step1.

2. If the error still continues to appear, move the print head and examine under the print head.

NOTE : The images shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine, but their inner structures are same.

3-1.Disconnect the Brother machine from the poweroutlet.
3-2.Open the scanner cover.

3-3.Check the print head's position.
In the example photo the print head is positioned at the left hand side of the platen area.

• If the print head is on the left side, go to step 3-4.
  • If the print head is on the right side, go to step 3-7.
  • If you can not find the print head, go to step 3-8.

3-4.Gently move the print head to the center.

Caution

Be careful to not force the print head to move.

If the print head is positioned at the far right hand side, you cannot move it. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".

3-5.Examine under the print head. If anything is found, remove it.

Hint

Use a flashlight if necessary to check thoroughly.

3-6.Close the cover and reconnect the machine to the power outlet.

If the message continues to appear on the LCD, the machine will require repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Print head is stuck on right side cant move without force

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to free the print head?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

I must close now to go away for a few days.

It would be helpful to me to know how I might free a printer head when it is stuck fast on the right hand side. If you can answer that I can take it from there I think.

Many thanks

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I could not get back to you quickly, as I am offline. You can reply me back, when you come back after few days. As you said the print head is jammed, then it seems to be a mechanical fault of the printer and you have to repair the printer to solve the problem. But, before that you can try to move the print head with your hand and check the issue,if you are unable to do that, then check inside the printer for any obstructions, which can block the movement of the print head. If the problem persist, then disconnect all the cables from the printer and hold the printer upside down and give it a good shake, to see if anything dislodged from it or not.

If all the above steps does not solve the problem, then it is definite, that the problem is caused due to some mechanical fault.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you think, it is at least "OK Service" or I have provided a Good or Excellent service.Reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please remember, if you rate me less than 3 Star/Smiley (OK Service) , then I will not get paid for my time and effort and it is consider as negative rating. So,I request you to think before you rate my response and one more thing, if it is a hardware fault, then it is not possible for me to replace the spare through online, I can only tell you, what to do to solve the problem, because I cannot give you any wrong information, except the true facts. I hope you will understand.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing