tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician
Experience:  8 years as Computer Support Specialist which allows me to work on printers, projectors, networks, et
35117564

Ive got a brother mfc 990cw printer will not print anymore,

Customer Question

I've got a brother mfc 990cw printer will not print anymore, reasons being that it says unable to print 4F, dont know what that mean, since this came up unable to print anymore, can you tell me how to cancel this.

Henry
Category: Printers
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 2 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is Tim and I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer :

Appreciated very much for your input

tbwhite2040 :

OK I am looking it up now

Customer :

Thanks

tbwhite2040 :

According to the Brother website the error code means something is wrong with the printhead. It says to contact Brother to have the printer repaired.

Customer :

This only happens when i printed something of the net.

tbwhite2040 :

Sorry I got a phone call

tbwhite2040 :

So it only happens when you print from the internet and not anything from other programs on your computer?

Customer :

Thats correct

Customer :

I thought that 4F may be a different form or size of paper

tbwhite2040 :

No

did you go to the link I sent you?

Customer :

Not yet

tbwhite2040 :

Are you on DSl

Customer :

Whats DSI mean?

tbwhite2040 :

DSL high speed internet?

Customer :

Yes i am

tbwhite2040 :

Do you have a DSL Filter between the phone jack and the fax modem of the printer?

Customer :

Yes i have

tbwhite2040 :

OK thought this might be the issue

Customer :

So what do you what me to do?

tbwhite2040 :

I am still looking. Just a second please

tbwhite2040 :

Do you know how to clean the printhead by removing the print head and cleaning the copper contacts on it?

Customer :

No i dont never done that before may be with your help may i can

tbwhite2040 :

Let me see if I can find some online instructions on how to remove and clean the printhead

tbwhite2040 :

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000700/000035/faq000735_015.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc990cw_all&Cat=116

This link tells you how to use the control panel of the printer to clean the printheads

Customer :

i'll try that then i'll get back to you

tbwhite2040 :

ok sounds good

tbwhite2040 :

Just make sure to post back to this same question

Customer :

Sorry nothing is happening, followed all instructions it just not doing anything at all

tbwhite2040 :

Ok There may be a release mechanism beside the print head that releases it but you might need to remove the ink cartridges first

Customer :

Ok ill try that

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

Still nothing

tbwhite2040 :

Do you see a lever to remove the printhead

Customer :

is that the one on the left hand side sort of white lever

tbwhite2040 :

yes it might be. Is it beside the printhead?

Customer :

Yes

tbwhite2040 :

try flipping the lever and see if the printhead will come out

Customer :

ok

tbwhite2040 :

thanks

Customer :

i think it got a locking mechanism down the bottom also i've got the lever off but its holding it down someway in the bottom.

tbwhite2040 :

You may have to slide the printhead out to unlock it but do not break it

Customer :

I've got it off, just cleaning the head

tbwhite2040 :

ok great

Customer :

All done fitted back still the same Unable to Print 4F

tbwhite2040 :

Then I believe the printhead is malfunctioning however you might want to contact Brother and tell them it will print fine except on the net and they might be able to tell you something different than what the manual says

Customer :

No worries

tbwhite2040 :

have you tried reloading the drivers for the printer to see if it will correct the error message?

Customer :

However i did spoke to Brother contacrt center did informed me to get on this site, they could not help, but i what else can i do from her, yes i did tried to reload the drive same outcome still nothing.

tbwhite2040 :

Sorry I believe the printhead is faulty and needs to be replaced or replace the printer

Why did you rate me bad service when I told you what the problem is with your printer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You did not tell me what the problem with my printer, you had no clue at all, i,ve just taken it into a local printer technician it was simple mistake, he fix it in three minutes, did not cost me anything, and i paid so much to talk to you over the net, which is ridiculous. I've also spend an hour with you chatting which is no help to me at all.

Then it was a user error not a printer error.