John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Canon Pixma MP272 On Power Light is flashing. Error Code PO7,

Canon Pixma MP272 On Power Light is flashing. Error Code PO7, and Error Code 5B00 appear on the screen when I try to print. How can I get my printer to print again? I have tried all I can.
P 0 7 is among the 'miscellaneous error' class, where the following can be tried:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.
Also unplug it from the computer!
Leave it that way for 10 minutes.
Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
Try printing again.

and after trying that, if it fails, it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the printer will have to be either serviced or, perhaps, recycled (if replaced as a whole.)

( In some Canon PIXMA printers (not necessarily this one) P 0 8 means that the printhead temperature has been detected as having gotten too high. That signifies either replacing the printhead or replacing the circuit board that detected it as being too high in temperature. Be warned, this interpretation may only apply to thermal-printhead printers, not your specific model. )

As for error 5B00, that might be an Ink Absorber Full error. But I am not sure that this is the correct interpretation as applied to your model of printer. So the following questions really need to be asked:

How old is your printer, measured from its date of purchase?
Has your printer been used heavily, moderately, or lightly, during its lifetime?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The printer was a present to me, given less than 2 years ago, and I do not have the receipt for it. It has been only moderately used.

I have tried unplugging the printer at both sides, waiting, and then plugging in again. The ON Power light is still flashing and a warning sign flashes as well.

Would inserting new ink cartidges solve it?

Many thanks for your reply.

If it was used when you received it, that explains the Ink Absorber Full error - that is something that only comes up on a printer that has printed a lot of pages for quite some time.
You can try replacing cartridges - but I advise you against the excess expense. (Selling cartridges is where companies make their money; inkjet printers are usually marked down to encourage people to start consuming ink cartridges.) Replacing your printer might be the best option, given that you have a double error, and one at least of them requires repair labor and repair parts - possibly both - and also given that your printer is probably kind of old by now.

You might get some credit toward a new printer by recycling it through this Canon page:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The printer was a brand new printer and is not an old printer. It was bought less than 2 years ago and has not been used excessively.

Can you tell me what the price of a replacement printer might be?

One is for sale here for 30.0 Euro:

Another is for sale here for 35 (I'm not sure, either Euro or Pounds... sorry, I'm just not sure as to which...):

EBay UK has a listing for this printer:

- the current bid is 5 pound 99 pence.
has a Buy-It-Now price of 15 pound 90 pence.

I hope this provides you with the answer you need to your question in every respect. If so, please rate my Answer, or else reply informing me what rating you wish applied. Thanks.
(If any other info is needed to make the answer complete, please reply and I will try to provide it.)
I am sorry that my answer displeased you. If there is any other aspect of the question that I can assist you with, reply letting me know.

To give you a chance at a second opinion, I am also Opting Out of this case, opening it to other Experts contributions, if any other Expert has a different opinion to offer.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Previous expert was right, the error 5B00 means the ink absorber is full. That's a "normal" issue on Canon printers. When the ink absorber is full it needs to be replaced.

Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure, then this should be done from a technician, that also includes the disassemble of the printer that requires special equipment from Canon.

You should call Canon UK directly at +44 (0)844(NNN) NNN-NNNNand make an appointment to have the ink pads replaced.

Thank you

John C.

Please consider changing our rating to "OK, Good, or Excellent" as we don't work for Canon. Please "do not shoot the messenger".

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your informative messages and for all your help.

Can you tell me what a waste ink absorber is, where it is on the printer, and how much a new ink absorber could cost, as well as the callout charge? It sounds far too expensive for me to afford, to be able to get my printer printing again.

I used the printer on Friday 31st August 2012 in the evening, and on Saturday 1st September morning it did not work. Could it not be an electrical fault or something similar? I will try the telephone number you quoted for Canon.

Thank you.

As you are in UK I am not sure about the cost, you will need to call Canon UK at +44 (0)844 369 010.

Canon printers feature an ink absorber pad that soaks up excess ink from the print cartridges, preventing smears and keeping the cartridge free of dried ink.

Canon is unique in the fact that the printer actively monitors the waste ink absorber pads and will display an error message when the pads are full of ink.

It is usually located under the print cartridges. Also, it is not a user replaceable component, you need a Canon technician to replace it, unfortunately.

Thank you

John C.

John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience: CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.