Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My printer is printing a thick black line down the right hand

Customer Question

My printer is printing a thick black line down the right hand side of the paper.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Some questions that need to be asked about the situation:

- Do self-test prints also show the black line?

- Did the line first show up just after or soon after a change of ink cartridge(s) ?

- Does the line show up on all-text prints ?

- Have you tried the Alignment tests/pages the printer offers? it is available through the operating system's printer drivers, usually via
Start - Control Panel - Printers, right-click upon the icon representing your printer, choose Properties, then go to Maintenance tab, then do an Alignment page from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Black line does not show up on tests
Yes, one of the magenta cartridges was replaced last week

As far as I know, though I haven't tried printing directly from the computer.

Have done the alignment test

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not printing black line when doing ruled papers

( I am sorry that I was not able to respond sooner - there was a system difficulty that prevented my replying for a while. )

If the line only shows on printouts from the computer, then what is your computer operating system please (e.g. Windows, MAC OS X are operating systems) ? and its version or type?

Please describe the ruled papers a bit more.

Also - the black line - is it showing on photos? or is it showing on text printouts too? please test and let me know. (This sort of error usually occurs only on laser printers, having it happen on inkjet-type printers is rather rare, so I have to ask a lot of questions about details in order to scope out the matter - I hope you don't mind.)
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry, there has been a misunderstanding. The line does NOT show when printing directly from the computer, only when photo copying.

"Print ruled papers" is an option on the printer to print wide lines, narrow lines, graph paper etc. No black line appears when doing this or any of the tests.

If the printing from the computer NEVER shows the black line, but it does show when photocopying or scanning paper-original documents, then you have a problem with your scanner, obviously.
This is good, since such a dark line on printouts from a computer, in an inkjet-type printer like your model, is so rare as to be very puzzling. As it is, there's a solution, almost certainly:

Your scanner/copier needs cleaning, in case it is not a failure within the electronic parts of the scanner-copier.

For the cleaning: where is the line positioned, relative to the center or either side of the page? with the printer turned OFF, open the printer's scanning path parts (that the paper goes through when scanned or copied), and with a dampened paper towel rub firmly all parts that are in line with that line, particularly if it is a clear glass part - esp the glass strip to the 'left' of the glass sheet platen (but the other parts occasionally cause it too.)
Try again.

(Let me know what you find, please.)

I hope this provides you with the answer you need to your question in every respect. If so, please rate my Answer, or else reply informing me what rating you wish applied. Thanks.
(If any other info is needed to make the answer complete, please reply and I will try to provide it.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried opening up the printer and cleaning wherever I could though I couldn't see any clear glass part and it hasn't made any difference.

I think perhaps I under estimated the severity of the problem. The mark is fully a centimetre wide and dark print, certainly not like a smudge. Can you offer any further advice or do you think there may be something more fundamentally wrong with the printer? It is about 3 years old.

The glass part you are supposed to clean would be found (my mistake) on a sort of printer that has a sheet feeder or document feeder on top - and yours doesn't, unless I'm mistaken again.

So... it is most likely a defect in hardware, specifically your scanning hardware. The bulb may be burnt out partway along its length (this is rare), or the sensor that gathers the reflected light from the scanner bulb (that contains the image of the page) may have a bad spot on it. Either way, your scanner and your photocopying is disabled until that is repaired.
How old is your printer? measuring from the date of purchase... oh, you've already said, it's about 3 years old. So it is out of warranty, and repair would be at your expense.

Given that you are in the UK, go to

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/support

and click upon the blue Find button (in the Find A Repair Centre area with the map background). Then fill in your street and city, and then fill in
Stylus PX700W
for your printer's model #. Then click upon the Search button, and you will get a map and listings for all nearby Epson Service Centres that can fix your printer.

You ought to call them and ask for an estimate on the repair cost, before committing to repair... it might come to much more than you expect, and you might perhaps prefer to replace your printer instead, according to calculations of relative cost-effectiveness. (But, that decision is up to you - if the printer were 4 years old, it might be obviously less likely since an older printer is more likely to break down in some other way after one defect is finished.)
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I read in my computer manual that I could try reinstalling my printer. I'm trying to do this but have been asked if it is

1. A USB printer or

2. A network,wireless or Bluetooth printer

The printer is an Epson Stylus Photo PX700W. Can you tell me which it is?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My problem has not been resolved so I am still trying to find a solution.
Expert:  GWTyree replied 2 years ago.
My name is Gary. I'd like to try and assist you today.

Your black ink cartridge needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The capability of the model of Epson printer you have, is for either Wireless (WiFi) printing and scanning, or of printing and other operations directly via a USB cable.

So - to see what function it is set on - check for that USB cable between it and the computer. It's as simple as seeing whether there is a USB cable plugged in to the rear of the printer, and tracing that cable to wherever it is plugged in (if there is such a cable. Be it noted, you may need a USB cable connection, temporarily, during the reinstallation process.)

If you wish to reinstall your printer in either function (by WiFi or by USB cable connection), then please go to

Start - Control Panel - System

on your PC, and let me know what the Windows type/version now running on your PC is. Also please check for the 'System Type', which should be about half-way down the System info window, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now come to realise that my printer is going to need repairs which will almost certainly cost more than the price of a new one so I have decided to cut any further losses and buy a new one.

Thank you for your help.

Are you sure that you would not like to try a printer driver uninstall-reinstall procedure?

In any case, thank you for following the process thus far.