Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience:  A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk
16569391

My Epson WorkForce 845 Printer keeps jamming. I have cleared

My Epson WorkForce 845 Printer keeps jamming. I have cleared it abou;t 10 times in a row and it continues to jam. I have turned it off to reset, turned it back on and it immediately jams again. Why iis this happening?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.

When did this first start happening?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last evening. I successfully printed another note that I had written and then wrote a second note using the same parameters, but it will not print.Before printing my first note I had printed some labels and that went well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Travis,

It started last night. I printed labels and notes but now it keeps jamming. I turned it off/on to try to reset and that doesn't seem to be working.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.
Helen,

There still must be something inside the machine that its taking as a paper jam. See if you can take it apart without unscrewing screws as much as possible and inspect the paper path with a flashlight. you might be able to feed a thick paper throught the machine, it might remove the jammed paper or object inside. but it might also make the trouble worse.

Start by following the steps below to get the paper out from the machine.
  1. Turn off the printer.
  2. Remove any paper trays. Inspect them for wrinkled or damaged paper.
  3. Also open the back cover of the printer if this model has one.
  4. Open any other doors that give access to the printer's paper path and to the toner or ink cartridge.
  5. If necessary, remove the toner or ink cartridge. Place it away from light/ sun light to avoid damaging it.
  6. If you find a piece of jammed paper, remove it by holding it with both hands and pulling firmly. The goal is to keep the paper from tearing. If several pieces are jammed together, try pulling out the middle piece first to loosen the jam.
  7. If the paper does tear, try rotating the roller gears manually to free the paper. Don't force anything, though. Do this step especially if the jam message comes up repeatedly without any obvious paper jam, there may be a small tear of paper inside.
  8. Ones the printer is free of paper Replace the toner or ink cartridge and paper trays, close any doors you opened and turn the printer back on.
  9. If the paper jam message still appears, then there is still some paper in the printer. Reinspect the paper path.
  10. see alternative if the problem is still not solved.

alternative :
Load a piece of thick paper, for example photo paper and press the resume button (may be diffrent button on diffrent models) a few times to the printer picks up the paper and puts it through the machine.

Advanced

If that doesn't help then you would have to start taking apart the machine to find the jammed paper and remove it, its not something a just anyone should do unless you have experience. A service manual would be required as there are alot of small parts in the paper path, also, it will void any warranty that the machine might have.

you may have to take the machine to a repairer to get the jammed paper bits out of the machine, if you don't see paper jammed in the machine it does not mean that there wouldn't be a paper jam somewhere in the unit along the paper path.

Most commonly it's a sensor issue if you haven't done all the cleaning steps, including spraying the unit out with canned air from walmart or a local store, if this error doesn't reset you have a faulty printer on your hands with internal hardware issues.

1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to remove all ink cartridges, turn off printer, then turn it upside down and shake it few times. If still not working then you need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it (using compressed air can) to remove all dust.

if reset method not works for you then you go for the new logic board replacement, I would advise then take part in Epson's program they are giving 50-75% of services, repairs, and new units for sending in your old faulty one(even if out of warranty).

Travis B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Travis,

There is something wrong with the paper tray. When loading, the paper does not lock into position that I can see. When I place the tray back in the printer after loading, the paper moves and that seems to cause the jam. I think I am going to the store where I bought the printer and have them look at the tray.

Thanks for your assistance.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 2 years ago.
Helen,

If that is the case then that's part of the reason why the unit keeps jamming. That would need to be replaced before the unit would start working as normal.

if they cannot assist you then you, I would advise then take part in Epson's program they are giving 50-75% of services, repairs, and new units for sending in your old faulty one(even if out of warranty).

Travis B.

Glad I could be of assistance and god bless!

Travis B.
Travis B., Technician
Experience: A+ Computer Repair, ISP Technician, Help Desk