Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Cannon MX870 printer. Have error message after inserting ink

Cannon MX870 printer. Have error message after inserting ink cartridges and closing up printer. Massage says: Turn of power and restart. If problem persists consult user manual, which I can not locate.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today.

To further understand your issue, please let me know:

1. If this happened before or after replacing a cartridge or having a paper jam
2. If you use generic or refilled/recycled cartridges
3. Do you see any flashing lights on the control panel of the printer, and if so can you describe them (5 orange then 1 green flash for example)

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have some steps for you to try based on this information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bernie:

1. no
3.. conon ink cartg.
4. yes alarm and copy lites

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let me know the model of the ink cartridges?

Also, could you turn the printer off, then back on, and count how many flashes you see, and what color (For example, 5 orange then 1 green flash)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
21 yellow-green flashes

cartrig 220 pgbk & 221 m
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Take your time with the answer below and remember, if you still need help afterwards, please do not mark Bad or Poor Service. Instead, just click Reply to Expert and let me know, there is no extra charge and we will try another solution if available, thank you.

Open the printer and remove all cartridges and make sure all prepackaging tape has been taken off them. Then sharply unplug the printer from the wall outlet while it is still on, and disconnect all cables from the back of the printer. Use a q-tip dampened with warm water to clean the copper contacts on the cartridges and in the printhead inside if you see any. Keep cleaning until no ink comes off on the q-tip

Then, remove the printhead:

Take care not to touch the nozzles on the bottom, and with a lint free cloth that is slightly dampened, wipe the electric contacts on the back of the printhead from bottom to top, in one direction.

Then go ahead and reinsert the printhead. Finally, reconnect all cables to the back of the printer. Now while holding down the stop/cancel button, or just the power button if you don't have those, plug the printer back in to the outlet, then release the button. Power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically. Then, reinsert the cartridges firmly so they click, and make sure the ink lamp is a solid red when you reinsert them:

Then follow any onscreen directions if given then see if the error is gone. Please reply back and let me know if it is not and we'll continue.
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bernie:

This is Wil again,
Have done all of the instructions.
error message now gone.
have sent a print commatnd to thout a chandeprinter.
Message on printer: processing, please wait monentarlly.-6 minuted

It have been 5-6 minutes with little green processing dots moving across lower part of screen.

Perhaps print head not ied lites akk rn properly?. yet all red cartg. lites are on properly.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

We seemed to have made a little progress, can you let the printer sit for about 15 minutes and see if it eventually starts procesing? If not, please let me know and we'll continue right away.

Thanks