Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Experience:  5+ Years of Hardware Printer repair including installation and repair of Xerox MFP devices
14124282

My Canon MX860 is printing blank pages. When I try to copy

Customer Question

My Canon MX860 is printing blank pages. When I try to copy something, it is blank. When I try to send a word document, it is blank.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

This error is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work, then you need to try soaking the print head. In this case:
(1) Remove the print head from the printer
(2) Soak it in hot water for an hour or so
(3) Remove it, let it dry completely
(4) Replace the print head and cartridges and test it

If that does not work then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please rate my answer once you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, please ask and I will continue working with you.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think this is the issue. I have Windows 7 and tried to make part of a word document a different color and that is when it happened immediately. The black ink cartridge was almost out, so I replaced it. The only thing that printed was the color text. My icon that shows what color is going to be printed is a Capital A that is underlined in RED and the Cut, Copy is in light grey and the icon that says Painter is darkened, so I think I changed something inadvertedly.

If the problem is happening when you make a copy on the printer itself, then there's no way it can be a software issue. It has to be the print head based on your description.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does print color when I copy. If I choose the color option, it prints color and the black prints, but not dark black. If I choose the black and white option, it doesn't print at all. Could the printer head just affect the black and white option?
Yes, that sounds like exactly the problem. Each color has a nozzle on the print head so in this case the problem is most likely with the black. So follow the steps above to do a thorough cleaning and test it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK....I have cleaned the printer head and the results are the same. It prints from the color venue.....but the black and white is blank.
Next step will be to soak the printhead and if that doesn't work, try a new black cartridge. Since it does this on copies as well, it cancels out the possibility of it being a software problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just replaced the black cartridge as the black cartridge that I had previously had in was almost out and I had thought that that could have been the issue. I do not know how to remove the printer head. Do you think removing it could really work? I hate to go through all of this and have the same negative results. This is my second Canon MX860 and have already replaced the printer head. It is just ironic that this happened at the exact same time that I used my Windows 7 painter and it is now stuck on Red. How do I get that back to be on a black default?
Easy way to do that would be just to uninstall the printer and reinstall it. But when you make a copy on the printer, it doesn't use any of your software settings so obviously that cannot be the problem.

You can remove the printhead by taking out the cartridges, lifting the grey lever and lifting it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know how to uninstall the printer. Can I call you and have you walk me through it. I do have the a canon disk but it is for the MP 830 and my printer says MX830. Is that the disk for this printer?
Hi

If you've never owned an MP830 then I'd say that is the right disc.

To uninstall it, go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program and then remove all of the Canon programs from there.

Restart the computer

Then reinstall from the disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have owned several Canon printers. Is there a MP 830 and an MX 830?
They are the same model, just verified it. So you're good to go.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for checking. There are six Canon programs that I installed the same day. Do I uninstall all of them? Is there any way I can do this by phone and I am a total novice and don't want to get into further trouble.
I'm sorry, we only have online support. But you are correct, uninstall all of them then restart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have unistalled all Canon printer files per your advice and reinstalled the MP830 disk and it cannot find a driver. I truly am in unknown territory and now I am screwed. Do you have any suggestions?
Sorry we got confused here, you started saying your printer was an MX830 but it's an MX860. Download the correct drivers here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx860

Click Drivers & Software

Then select your operating system

Then download and install them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you have directed me to a site that I would purchase software for $69.96 for my printer which I need because you told me to uninstall my present printer software. When I asked if a MP830 would be compatible with a MX830 you checked and said yes, when there is no such thing as a MX830 and I had initially stated that I had an MX 860 and it was a typo when I said an MX 830. Any suggestions?
Huh?

There's no cost to downloading the software on that site. That is the Canon website and it's free. Sounds like you have malware on your computer redirecting you elsewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WOW! I chose my XP operating system and attempted to install and it then states that This program is for 32bit Intel compatible programs only.....Program exited. Frustration level is skyrocketing. Please help. I am totally out of my league.

Sounds like you have a 64-bit operating system, so double check that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK....I clicked on your link. There are options for drivers, software, etc. Under each choice are several choices.....Have not a clue which to install. I tried a couple that I thought would be correct and then went into my control panel and the MX860 is not an option, so obviously I didn't choose the correct options. PLEASE HELP! I am helpless at this point and don't want to make matters worse. Never should have uninstalled perhaps

You go to the Drivers and Software Link

Select Windows

Select the correct version of Windows

Then download the MP Drivers and install them. That's all you need to print, so get that going first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded the driver for my Windows 7 XP 64 and there was a notice that said that the mx860swin64102ej.exewas reported unsafe and then there was a delete file. What now!
Well it's obviously not unsafe, so if its being reported as unsafe you have malware on your computer and have a much bigger problem. So you need to download MalwareBytes and do a full scan of your system first:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already have Malwarebytes installed and just ran scan which showed no issues. I will try the Canon site again and try to download the driver. If that doesn't work,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

,I already have Malwarebytes installed and just ran scan which showed no issues. I will try the Canon site again and try to download the driver. If that doesn't work,I am at a loss and I'm am up a creek without a paddle.

I just tried the Canon site again and attempted to download the driver and it gave me the same warning that it was unsafe. It then had a delete button.

Any other suggestions......This has now been over an hour attempting to resolve an issue and now I have no printer as I followed your recommendation. I need to resolve this soon.

Well the Canon site obviously isn't unsafe, so it's either a false warning or you have malware. Those are the options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When running malware, it scanned my system and said there were no issues. It states that mx860swin64102ej.exe.was reported unsafe.....and then it displays a delete button. This is incredibly frustrating not being able to talk to someone.....when I have followed all the instructions and am now am in a far worse condition than I was 2 hours ago.....as I am now without a printer. What are my alternatives.
Just download the file and then install it. It must be reporting it incorrectly, so do not delete it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I installed it and went to control panel, view printer devices and the MX860 is not there. I don't know where to go from here.
Do you have the printer powered on and connected directly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES