John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have an HP Officejet J6480. One of the two hinges, located

I have an HP Officejet J6480. One of the two hinges, located at the rear of the printer, that flip the cover up to change print cartridges is broken and it does not close propler. How do I a) remove the cover material to remove the broken hinge; and b) where do I go to to buy a replacemetn hinge?
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Is the printer still in warranty?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it is out of warranty. I Went to the hp support forum last night and saw there were many others with the same problem. I contacted HP and talk to a tech rep. He stated that they do not sell spare parts and it can't be fixed. They want to sell me a reconditioned unit.

Yes, unfortunately they don't sell spare parts, that's why I asked if you had warranty.

An alternative would be to buy a "bad" unit so you can get the parts from it. I found one from here -----> <===== CLICK HERE

However I think it's not worth it.

Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info --->

Please note I do NOT work for HP so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

I cordially request that you do not take a correct answer as a bad or poor answer.

Please ONLY select "Good or Excellent Service" below (and then click Submit) so I can get a positive feedback in If you are not ready to do so, do NOT leave me any feedback, just click "REPLY TO EXPERT"

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the research. I did order from them but am going to Sam's club to see if I can find one cheaper. I did inflict some pain on them. I was on the phone for over an hour because I told them I wanted to lodge a formal customer complaint into their quality system since this is a part that appears to break often for others. They kept trying to tell me that they would forward it but I stood my ground. They are an ISO 9001 company and as such have to do root cause analysis on customer compalints. Maybe, just maybe, they will see the part needs to be made stronger. They will probably ignore me but they will need to look into it and reply to me. I am responsible for the qualitity program at my lab and knew this. I have an official case number XXXXX Wink