Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Experience:  10,000+ hrs direct troubleshoot, repair and rebuilding hp, Lexmark/Dell inkjet and laser printers
40076313

My HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless stopped printing color copies

My HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless stopped printing color copies appropriately shortly after I replaced a combo set of new ink cartridges. It seems to print only some blue, no green or red. Don't know what to do. Help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Printer Doctor :

Hi there. The Printer Doctor is in and ready to help you! Please answer all my questions about your problem so that I can give my best diagnosis.

Printer Doctor :

Are you using new, genuine hp cartridges, and NOT non-hp compatibles or refilled/remanufactured brands?

Customer:

Yes

Printer Doctor :

If you are not using genuine hps, then I suggest switching to hp carts. However, before you do, try cleaning the printhead first by the following steps to see if it clears up for you:

At the printers Control panel press Setup, select Tools, and then select Clean Printhead.

Next, try printing to see if it looks normal. (you may need to do the cleaning operation 3 -4 times before the printhead clears)

Printer Doctor :

Okay, they are genuine hps. So go ahead and do the printhead cleaning as stated above. Let me know the results.

Printer Doctor :

Please do not rate me until we are finished here. If your problem does get solved, please rate me with 3-5 stars or a smiley-face so I will get credit for helping you today.

Printer Doctor :

Did the cleaning help?

Customer:

The printer spit out a sheep of paper with the alphabet, numbers and characters with color bands but they are only showing black, greys and blues. It also went through several alignment runs that printed out in black and blue. Now it's giving me an failure message and referring me to device documentation for details.

Printer Doctor :

What is the exact message? Is there a number code with the message.

Customer:

No. "Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details".

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Please hold on a bit...

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Let's try to get the printer to reset and "forget" the error:

Printer Doctor :

1) Remove the cartridges and turn the printer OFF.

Printer Doctor :

2) Unplug the printer AC adapter from the rear of the printer, then unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet.

Printer Doctor :

3) Wait a FULL 5 minutes.

Customer:

My husband normally changes these. You'll need to help me know exactly how to remove the cartridges please.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. I need to paste in the illustrations. Stand by...

Customer:

I just tried it and did it--getting the cartridges out. Am working on the other steps now.

Printer Doctor :

1. Gently pull open the ink cartridge cover.

Full Size Image

Remove the ink cartridge that requires replacement by grasping it and pulling it
firmly toward you.

Full Size Image

3. Remove the new ink cartridge from its package.
4. Align the cartridge with its color-coded slot and insert the cartridge into the slot. Press down firmly on the cartridge to ensure proper contact.
5. Close the ink cartridge cover.

Printer Doctor :

After you remove them, don;t put back in for now. Set them aside and continue below:

3) Wait a FULL 5 minutes.

4) Plug the power cords back in, turn the printer ON.

5) Install the cartridges.

6) At the Control panel: Press Setup, select Print Report, select Print Quality Page, and
then press OK.

Printer Doctor :

This will print out a Print Quality Page to show you how the printhead is performing. If the colors are still missing, that means the printhead nozzles for those colors are still clogged with sludgey or dried ink. You can perform 2 more cleanings as we did earlier to see if that clears it. If it does not, we will need to clean the printhead manually. But that will take some time, so try the auto-cleaning function at the control a couple times first.

Printer Doctor :

To see illustrated instruction and steps for manually cleaning the printhead, go to the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01615896&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3752459

Follow the instructions in order, then come back here and let me know your results. Please do not rate me until we are finished.
However, if you problem is solved and we need go no further, please rate me positive (3 - 5 stars, or a smiley-face so I will get credit for helping you today. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer, and HAPPY PRINTING from the Printer Doctor! I'll be looking for your results.

Customer:

After I replugged everythin back in and reinserted the ink cartridges, I am unable to get a blank control panel as it says ali

Customer:

Oops. Hit a wrong button--sorry. The panel says "aligning

Customer:

"Aligning Printer"

Printer Doctor :

Okay. When the alignment completes, do the following:

At the Control panel: Press Setup, select Print Report, select Print Quality Page, and
then press OK.

However, if you problem is solved and we need go no further, please rate me positive (3 - 5 stars, or a smiley-face so I will get credit for helping you today. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer, and HAPPY PRINTING from the Printer Doctor!

I'll be looking for your results here. Let me know what happened.

Customer:

I keep getting that same Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details. message. Then when I press OK and tried the Print Diagnostics Page, it again came out in greys and black and blues. Further the test pattern ! shows lthe lines not connected

Printer Doctor :

Okay. It seems most likely that there is a problem much deeper than can be fixed in this chat fashion. Is your printer past the 1-year hp warranty?

Printer Doctor :

Are you still there? Is your printer past the 1-year hp warranty?

Customer:

Each time I attempt to print a quality page almost immediately, the printer goes to aligning printer which ultimatly gives me a failed message.

Printer Doctor :

I understand, but please answer my last question: Is the printer past the 1-yr hp warranty?

Customer:

I'm not sure. I think it's certainly been within the past 2 years. I can check.

Printer Doctor :

Please do, because if it is in warranty they will fix or replace it free of charge. Otherwise, you will have to pay for the repair, which may cost as much or more than a replacement printer.

Customer:

It has been over a year.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Let's try one last thing before we give up the ghost. We're going to attempt to restore the factory settings as when you bought it new:

1. Touch the Setup ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) icon.

2. Scroll to and touch Tools .

3. Scroll to and touch Restore Factory Defaults . A Defaults Restored message displays.

4. Press the Cancel button to return to the main menu.

Printer Doctor :

Try this and see if the printer will return to normal and complete the alignment. Let me know...

Customer:

Okay I did that. Now what?

Customer:

Okay, I did all that. Now what?

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Now see if it will complete an Alignment:

At the Control panel: Press (Setup--the wrench symbol), select Tools, select Align Printer, and then
press OK. Press OK again when the alignment is done to continue.

Printer Doctor :

Let me know if it gets through the alignment process. If it does, go back and repeat the head cleaning process a couple times as directed earlier. Before cleaning the printheads, make sure you load paper, then:

Customer:

Unfortunately it went through the same dynamics. At one point, I could hear it actually trying to clean the printheads (which I didn't all the other times and i got one diagnostic sheet with a smidge of red but that was it. As far as the aligning process it results in a failure message every time. Doesn't sound promising. I can probably continue to use it for just black and white printing though, right?

Printer Doctor :

Sorry your problem requires repair by an in-person technician. Yes, you should be able to at least use the printer for B&W printing, as well as all the other functions it offers (fax, copying, etc.). Since we cannot go any further on this issue, please rate me now for helping you today. Best wishes.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your assistance and patience. I am barely computer literate and even so, you treated me with respect. That will help me be a little less intimidated as I learn some new skills. Again, thanks.

Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Experience: 10,000+ hrs direct troubleshoot, repair and rebuilding hp, Lexmark/Dell inkjet and laser printers