Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your printer questions

I have a Canon MP240. When I scan documents it is creating

Customer Question

I have a Canon MP240. When I scan documents it is creating huge files for normal text scans. I have checked to make sure I don't have it set for photo. Is there anything else I can do. I've received several PDFs scanned to me that I need to sign. When I scan for the return my files are several MG where the original was only a few K. Also, trying to Zip the file there is no compression. What can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved!

What scanning software are you using? Is it the default Windows Fax and Scan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it is the Canon MP Navigator EX 2.0
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Great! Unfortunately I have never used this software and am unable to give you specific instructions regarding it. However I can tell you that you shouldn't be scanning with the photo setting. There should be a document setting. Photos require much more detail than black and white documents, so they are scanned into a bigger file size. If you can't find a 'document' scan setting, try to find a setting for DPI. This is the level of detail at which the scanner records the image. The higher the DPI or 'dots per inch', the larger the file size. For a normal text document the DPI should be around 150.

Windows Fax and Scan should be installed if you have Windows Vista or 7. Click start and type in 'scan' and you'll see the program. You might want to try it once and see if you prefer it. All these options are simplified. Let me know if you have further questions. If you aren't satisfied I can opt out and see if another tech knows this program specifically.

Please rate my answer positively once you're satisfied with my answer. If you aren't please reply instead of rating negatively so I can continue to help you.
Thomas, Technician
Experience: Ready to assist with your printer questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked to make sure that I wasn't using the photo setting. I will try the Windows fax function and see what happens.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
That's great! In the meantime I will opt out and let other techs review this. Someone here is bound to know the canon software enough to help. You'll receive an email when someone responds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the Windows scan function and it created a jpg file was much smaller -- the files saved by the Canon scan software were PDF files (which I would prefer).
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you.

Have you tried to reduce the resolution to 75 dpi or 100 dpi while scanning? Please try smaller resolutions and check if the issue persists. Use MP navigator for the settings.

If the issue persists, please let me know. If the response was helpful, please RATE my answer with 3-5 STARS OR a Smiley face!

If the issue persists, or you need further information, please let me know via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that did resolve the issue.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

If the response was helpful, please RATE my answer with 3-5 STARS OR a Smiley face!

Thank you. XXXXX F I N