Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

When I powered up my canon pixma mp640 printer today, it seemed

When I powered up my canon pixma mp640 printer today, it seemed to come up just fine, but then turned itself off. I haven't been able to get it to power on since then. I've tried plugging it into a different power outlet, but still won't power on. Can it be fixed?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you.

• Disconnect the power cord or AC Power Adapter from both the device and the electrical source.
  • Reconnect it after waiting a few seconds..
  • If you are still unable to obtain power to the device, try another power outlet.
  • If possible, try connecting power directly to a wall outlet (as opposed to using a surge protector or power strip...just as a troubleshooting measure).
  • If there is still no power, then another power cord/adapter may need to be tried.

If the response was helpful, please RATE my answer with 3-5 STARS OR a Smiley face!

If the issue persists, or you need further information, please let me know via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I disconnected the power cord from both the printer and the wall outlet and let sit for a few minutes. I plugged the cord back into the printer and into a different wall outlet. The printer still does not power up. I don't have a different power cord to try. This one has worked for over a year now, hard to see why it would suddenly stop working. Same for the printer.

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Before doing any troubleshooting steps or repair, we have to check the power cord. If you are able to get a different power cord, it would be better. Otherwise, I would suggest you get the power cord checked by anyone or a local technician.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The power cord doesn't look special in any way. There is no transformer or anything attached to it. I'll try to find a new one somewhere though. It almost seems like a connection inside the printer came loose. Is that possible?
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

I do not think that will be the issue. I doubt the power cord. If another power cord does not resolve the issue, it will be better get it repaired by Canon. If the printer is warranty, please let me know.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, the printer is no longer in warranty. Looks like I will just get a new printer. The Canon repair center is too far away.
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest you contact a nearby technician, and check the power cable with him.

If the issue is not with the power cable, check the printer with him, and if it is expensive to get it repaired, better purchase a new printer.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.