John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have an HP Officejet 6500. It only prints very light print,

I have an HP Officejet 6500. It only prints very light print, which is NOT readable, except for the color blue . . I even installed a new black ink cartridge, even tho the gage says 3/4 full. All of the ink cartridges are new.

What is wrong?
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Printers, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) is satisfied with my job. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Part 1 of 3:
Probably the printhead is defective. However, please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself (you may want to use gloves here)

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists. If it persists, you can try cleaning the printhead using the printer utility.

Part 2 of 3:
If it doesn't work, please make sure you are using genuine and good (not old, expired, dried, etc) HP GENUINE Cartridges.

Part 3 of 3:
If no luck with good and genuine HP cartridges, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

If the printer is out of warranty, you may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info --->

Please note I do NOT work for HP so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green button below

Thank you very much!

John C.