DrKlahn, Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

Category: Printers
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.
Good morning. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

This problem is reported infrequently with the 8500A -- exactly once, in fact; see the link below. There is no known solution. t5%2FPrinter-All-in-One-Install-Setup%2FHP-Officejet-Pro-8500a-Plus-blue-Screen%2Ftd-p%2F928547&ei=l8_IT_CsCYiCgwe10P2JAQ&usg=AFQjCNEiPRohF70DffduhOUB20mjoRRDJw&cad=rja

The binary code indicates that the printer has suffered a serious internal malfunction. It should be either repaired or replaced, depending on which is less expensive.

Here are some observations on the cost of repairing vs. replacing printers:

Except for business-grade workgroup printers, few modern printers are repairable, and fewer are worth repairing. It is unfortunate that printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the real-world cost of having a printer repaired.

In most repair facilities there's a two hour shop time minimum charge, with technician time at $US 75/hour. Then comes the cost of parts - figure a $US 50 minimum for parts. The minimum cost of having a printer repaired is $US 200. Then add another $US 40 for shipping if the repair must be sent off to be fixed at a regional repair center, for a total of around $US 240.

The rule of thumb for repair vs. replace is repair only when the repair cost is less than 2/3 of the cost of replacement. Therefore, if you can buy a replacement printer for $US 360 or less, you're better off with a replacement printer.

There may be an escape hatch on the warranty, however. If you purchased the printer with a credit card (American Express and Visa are good on this), many cards double the manufacturer's warranty up to one additional year. If this might apply, check your cardholder's benefits flyer. If this does apply, contact your card supplier at the number in the benefits flyer to have the printer replaced or refunded.

Otherwise, the best choice is to purchase a replacement printer. In most cases, ebay is a good source for replacements. Used, refurbished and NOS ("New Old Stock") printers are generally available for all printers made within the last ten years. An identical replacement has several advantages:

1. Continue using the same printhead or toner cartridge (assuming it is removable, of course) and keep the replacement's unit as a spare.
2. Use up the ink / toner cartridges from the old printer.
3. Continue using any expendable supplies such as ink tanks or toner cartridges from the old printer.
4. Eliminates the need to remove existing printer software and replace it with different software -- always an "iffy" issue.

I have priced the 8500A on ebay (see the search below), and replacements are available for $150 (delivered) on up.

Given that a replacement can be purchased for about $150, and that repair would cost at least $200, in this case I must recommend purchasing a replacement. The only exception would be if the printer is still under warranty, or if it is covered by an extended credit card warranty.

I am sorry to report this.

Under JustAnswer rules, the information above makes this comment an Answer. If anything in this answer is unclear, or you'd like something explained in more detail, don't hesitate to ask.

If the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction, or this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not accept it. Let me know why, give me a chance to correct it, and let me know how I can do better in the future.

Remember: Further discussion is always possible, even after an Answer has been accepted.