Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

HP 8500A Plus printer "print carriage jam" error message.

HP 8500A Plus printer "print carriage jam" error message. No jam found. "Checking Printer" mode. After making the usual noises that the process makes, goers silent & sits in that mode for hours. Unresponsive to attempted reset. Ready to throw it out the window.
Welcome to

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

A note about how we work.. It may only take one solution to solve this, it may take several. I will stick with you till this is resolved. No matter how many attempts it takes, you will only be charged once, unless you start a new question. Also, please save your feedback till the end of the process.

Now, the issue your having could be indicative of a logic board fault. We may or may not be able to fix this, but its possible we can.

So lets try the following as a start.

I want you to open the printer.. Remove all ink carts, and then unplug the printer from power completely. Wait five minutes, leave cartridges out.. Then turn on printer.

Is it still giving the carriage jam error now? Or some other error?

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Log into, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same error message.........Carriage Jam.
Ok, Use yoru hand.. And try manually pushing the carriage ( the part that holds the ink cartdidges) Try pushing the carriage back and forth.

Then, Turn the machine off and on , do you still get the carriage jam message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still have a Carriage Jam error. Cannot manually move carriage. I think it's toast.
Ok, before we proceed further withs steps that will either fix the printer, or damage the printer.

How old is it? If your within warranty, then I dont want to instruct you to do anything to break it. ( so how old is it roughly speaking)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Approx 3 years old.............out of warranty
Ok.. In that case, if its brokem indeed.. Then we cant harm it further can we?

Put the ink cartridges back in, as that will help keep the carriage stable.. Once put back in place. Be a bit more forceful, with the printer turned on.. Push the carriage back and forth.. We want to get it to " jump" back in gear. Push it all the way left, and then all the way right.. It should snap back into place.. If at anypoint the machine takes over and starts moving the carriage, let it do so as this is what we want to happen.

Let me know if you can or cant get the carriage to move at all.. It should not be immobile.. If it is immobile, something is physically blocking its movement.. If we get it to move again, your carriage jam issue should be fixed, and the printer will work again. ( ideally)

So since its either repair it or trash it..Be forceful, lets try and get that carriage unjammed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I had to be away for awhile. Sometimes I can get to move left & right freely but same error messages still come up & it still sits idle while suppossedly doing its checking printer thing. Repeated the whole sequence & cartridge is stuck & unable to move. I have a bad feeling about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, apparently you're gone. No amount of force will move it so I'm thinking it's done.

Thanks for your help.
My apologies for the delay, by the time you responded karen it was almost midnight my time.

Theres one thing left we can try.. Updating the internal firmware on the printer. To do so, I need to know whether your 8500 is a A909g A909n

Can you look on the back, or the bottom where it shows the model tag.. And see if you can see the extended model number that includes the A909g or A909n.