Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

We have a Canon MX340. The alarm light is on and the window

Customer Question

We have a Canon MX340. The alarm light is on and the window displays "document in ADF." How do I get it to work again?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

This error indicates there is still a document jammed in the ADF, please use these steps:

If the Stop button is pressed while the machine is scanning the :

If you press the Stop button during scanning, in Press [OK] appears on the LCD. Press the OK button so that the remaining is automatically fed out.

1. If printing is in progress, press the <Stop> button.

2. Turn off the machine. DO NOT unplug the power cord.

3. If a multi-page is loaded, remove any pages other than the jammed page from the , then open the Feeder Cover.

4. Pull out the jammed from the .

5. Close the Feeder Cover, then power on the machine.
    When rescanning the after clearing the error, rescan it from the first page.

Note:
    The may not feed properly depending on the media type, or your environment, such as when the temperature and humidity are either too high or too low.
    In this case, reduce the number of pages to approximately half of the loading capacity.
    If the still jams, use the Platen Glass instead.

Removing the jammed from the Output Slot:

1. If the is jammed in the Output Slot, close the Tray as shown in the figure below and pull out the .

2. When rescanning the after clearing the error, rescan it from the first page.

Remember, if you still need more help/info, reply back and let me know so I can further assist you, there is no extra charge to do so, thank you.

source: http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=33559

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is not a document in the printer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, then this means some foreign object is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the ADF feed tray has become dirty or defective, please take these steps:

Unplug the printer sharply from the power outlet while it is still on

Remove all paper from the paper feed and blow it out with compressed air a few times (This step is very important, if you don't have compressed air on hand you can get one from a local electronic/computer store for a few dollars)

With a flashlight look in the ADF paper feed > Make sure there is no foreign object like a paper clip, also look for jammed paper > Also look in the regular feed and blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust > Next take a q-tip moistened with bottle water and clean the feed rollers off.

While the printer is still off, press and hold the power button for 3 minutes > Load 1 sheet of paper into the paper tray

Finally, while holding down the stop/cancel button (or just the power button if you don't have those), plug the printer back in, and power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically, then try a test page (click below to view):

Press the Menu button repeatedly until Maintenance appears.
Use the the left or right arrow button to select Nozzle check, and press the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern should print out. However if the nozzle test does not print and you get the same error, then the printer will need to be taken apart and the sensors inside may need to be replaced. Unfortunately, if the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call 1-800-463-7766 first to get a quote for the repairs and make a final decision.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work...looks like I need a new printer.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Then the paper jam sensor has failed, I'm sorry to report this, if you need any further info on anything please let me know. In my experience it is not worth the cost of repairs but you may want to call the # I posted earlier just to double check. Canon may offer you a deal towards a new Canon printer and one that uses the same ink cartridges so you can salvage those.

Best regards,
Bernie