Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

how do I get a hp color laser jet cp1215 to print after it says toner cartridge is empty?

I know it is possible with other laser printers as I have brother at about 40,000 prints on one cartridge. A fix ya guy told me over a year ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. Take out the cartridge and shake it from side to side then put it back in the machine. This will charge the cartridge again and sometimes allow it to print. Otherwise open the printers menu and then go to print quality. Go to replace supplies and choose override out. However please note using expended cartridge on an HP printer can damage them and cause the imaging unit to need to be replaced a lot sooner than it should.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I shook the cartridge and the red light was still blinking. I looked for the overide out option under quality and didnt find it, nor did I find it under any other area.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
What options do you see under quality and maintenance? (if you have a maintenance option)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no maintenance tab at all. Under qualities, it talks of paper type only.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you have a newer firmware the option wont be there as there is no reset on machines with the latest firmware. If shaking it did not allow it to print in this case the only way to fix the message and get it printing is to replace the cartridge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the printer is a refurbished one. This computer has windows from 02 I think. I doubt either is so new at all.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
The machine itself does not need to be new, the firmware would be. It is a program inside the print itself and is updated from time to time. From what you have said yours has the newest firmware which does not allow this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be honest, I find this to be very frustrating as I have gotten previous advice from this service on other printers that has been an ongoing and huge savings in toner cartridges.

That does not mean however that today's advice from you is incorrect. But the whole idea of signing up for this service was to save money, not spend more. And if I accept your answer which I am not sure is the correct answer, I will be paying much more to same end.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
I wish I could have given you a different answer but I can not. I have no control over how HP makes there products or programs there firmware. I also hope you know that if a customer does not accept the experts here get paid absolutely nothing and have essentially worked for free. I have told you all I could including why you are not seeing the override options under your quality tab.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Freddy, I had and have no argument before or after your last comments. I was just expressing my thoughts. I will pay for your services.

But I am wondering if you have any ideas about printing on this printer without using the black toner cartridge which is the one that is empty right now. A friend mentioned that there is a way but he is unable to have much conversation due to an illness right now.

I will close this request with "satisfied" with any answer you give response, whether it is something can help with or not.

Thanks for your help today and your speedy responses.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome and I did not mean to imply anything I just wanted to let you know as some customers are aware. Most of these machines don't have it but if you have the HP toolbox you may have another way to try this. Open the toolbox. Click the Device Settings folder, and then click the System Setup page. Next to Cartridge out override select On to enable the override feature. There is an electrode at each end of the toner compartment. When the toner gets low these two electrodes no longer conduct the iron oxide in the toner. This is how the printer senses the toner has been depleted.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of IT and customer support experience