Handy--Andy
Handy--Andy, Technical
Experience:  Helpdesk

Have HP photosmart C5550 printer. It is stuck in clear carrage

Customer Question

Have HP photosmart C5550 printer. It is stuck in clear carrage jam mode Can not reset with HP instructions? How do I reset it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved! There is probably a sensor that is being blocked. Follow these instructions.

1. Open the Printer

2. Remove the paper from the tray

3. Unplug the printer

4. Carefully remove the ink cartridges from the printhead. Make sure you didn't leave any stickers or tape on the cartridge if they have been recently replaced.

5. Use a flashlight and see if you can find any jammed paper or foreign objects. Make sure that the printhead moves when you lightly push it. If anything seems to be keeping the printhead from sliding back and forth, remove it. (The printhead is what the cartridges sit in.) If you can see something but can't get to it, pick the printer up, face the opening toward the ground and lightly shake it.

6. Using a can of compressed air (you can find these at walmart or the dollar store) and blow out the inside of the printer, along any access doors, and where the paper is fed. This removes bits of paper from places you can't see.

7. WHILE THE PRINTER IS UNPLUGGED, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

8. Now we're ready to setup the printer again. Return the paper to the tray, return the cartridges to the printhead.

9. Very important: Hold down the stop/cancel button. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on WHILE holding down stop/cancel.

10. If the error persists, let me know. If not, click Accept/Smiley Face to close this case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried your suggestions. It came on and asked to put in the paper, then select ok. I did, then it came up with mfg commands "enter special key combo" ??

Don't know how

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Press the right arrow till you get to Resets Menu and press OK. Look for anything indicating a reset to factory defaults and select it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does not get to resets menu, the next selection is right back at Clear Carriage Jam.?

where its stuck

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
It looks like my solutions haven't worked. I will opt out and let another tech try and help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Handy--Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is Andy (in the UK)
I will deal with your issue as best as I can.
JustAnswer is the largest paid online Expert answers marketplace

Please unplug all cables from the printer.
Are you are able to lift the machine and gently shake it in the hope that bit of paper / dust comes out.
Now have a look through and around the machine with a torch, can you see anything still in there?
What I sometimes do is fold a A4 piece of paper in half, now by hand can you push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects oout.
Once this is all done can you clean the rollers with a damp/dry cloth.

Now switch everything back on and see how it is now.

If this doesnt work, you are looking at a sensor problem and will need a technician to check them and possibly a replacement.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was able to fold the paper and push it all the way through. Nothing came out along with it. Reloaded the paper, and it returns to the very same place.

"clear carriage jam"

The carriage is very clear. When I try to reset it by unpluging it, and waiting 60 seconds, it never resets as it should.?

Im afraid it sounds as if you have a faulty paper detection sensor.

I believe at this point after doing the resets previously mentioned and also physically checking for any obstructions the only option left is mechanical/electrical failure.

To save you time and frustration I can only advise seeking a technician or printer replacement.

Not the best news I know.

Sorry
All the best
Handy--Andy, Technical
Experience: Helpdesk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank YouAndy,
When I deleted the usb file, it also shut down my mouse so I could no longer communicate with you. Found my old wire mouse, but it took a while. Got connected to Andrew, and we resolved the problem.
Brill

Glad its all ok.