John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer service industry
60674955

I cannot get my iPad to print to a wireless printer! Directions

I cannot get my iPad to print to a wireless printer! Directions too vague!
Category: Printers
Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

What is the brand, model (and model # XXXXX applicable) of the wireless printer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My printer is a Canon Pixma MG3120 printer. I spent 2 1/2 hours on my cell phone to Cannon Tech support and installed the print drivers via wireless but I can't figure out step by step directions to get my iPad to recognize the the printer. I bought the Printer from American TV & Appliance.
Thanks. When you were online with Canon tech support, did they verify the printer itself has the proper firmware for Airprint functionality?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes they did a software upgrade!
Great.

Can you tell me what version of iOS is installed on the iPad?

If unsure:

Tap Settings

Tap General

Tap About

Look for the "Version" information

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5.1 (9B176)
...and are both the iPad and the printer connected to the same local wifi network?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes! I can go to the Internet on Safari gmail a all other applications on the net.
Good.

If this is the case then the iPad should automatically find the printer for use.

Try printing from one of the built-in applications such as Mail, Photos, and Safari. Select App store apps may also offer this feature but it is up to the author to support it.

To print, follow these steps:

Tap the action icon.
graphic

Tap the Print option.

Select/configure the printer options and then tap Print.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can print a page off the Safari such as CNN; but when I try print an email I click on a down arrow on the far right it gives a drop down box with the following options ( reply, move, label, print, along with a few other boxes. When I click the print option; it gives me save to google docs; print to fedEx Office or connect to printe rusing google icloud but cannot print that. If I click on google icloud it gives me Classic printer option using google chrome or cloud ready printer. What next.
What email app are you using? This doesn't sound like the built-in Mail app on the iPad.