Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

HOW DO I CLEAR CLOGGED PRINT HEAD ON BROTHER MFC PRINTER

Category: Printers
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 4 years ago.

Colin Vincent :

Hi there my name is Colin.

There is a built in cleaning routine within the printer software which will clear most print quality issues provided the print head is physically sound.

You can access it as follows.

Press Menu.
Press the Up or Down arrow key or the dial pad to choose Ink or Ink Management and press OK.
Press the Up or Down arrow key or the dial pad to choose Test Print and press OK.
Press the Up or Down arrow key or the dial pad to choose Print Quality and press OK.
Press Color (Colour) Start. The machine will start printing the Print Quality Check sheet.

Once it prints out, check the quality of the four color blocks on the sheet.
The LCD will ask you if the print quality is OK.
If the quality is ok select yes, if not no.

The LCD will ask you if the print quality is OK for Black and each of the three colors. Choose Yes or No depending on the print quality of each color.
The LCD will ask you if you want to start cleaning. Choose Yes. The machine will start cleaning the necessary print head.

After the cleaning is finished, press Color (Colour) Start. The machine will start printing another Print Quality Check sheet.

You can then repeat the cleaning process again if the quality is still not 100% or stop by selecting yes.
It can take several cleans if the print head is badly blocked but if after several cleans there is no improvment it is likely there is a physical issue with the print head.

Let me know how you get on or any of that raises questions.

Customer:

havealready tried that it didn't work

Colin Vincent :

If the normal cleans are failing assuming it is a blockage and not a faulty print head, then you will need to run a chemical clean. They come as a kit of fluid, a syringe and a short tube. You connect the tube between the syringe and ink nozzle in the cartridge holder for the problem color and inject fluid gently to dissolve the ink that is causing the blockage.

I assume you are getting some print on the paper ? If you get nothing at all it's unlikely to be a blockage.

Colin Vincent :

There is a how to on the link below with pictures that explains it weel and a cleaning kit that you can order.

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/printhead.html

Customer:

w do i get the cleaning chemical and can alcahol be used

Customer:

ca iuse alcahol

Colin Vincent :

I would recommend the fluid in the link i gave you rather than alcohol or you can probably get it at a local cartridge refil store as they use it to flush the cartridges. The reason being that you have to chemically break down the blockage and i have my doubts alcohol will do that. The kit in the link is less than $10 and probably money well spent if it saves the print head.

Customer:

ok do you think staples has it

Colin Vincent :

Possibly they might but they don't fill cartridges in store so not 100% that they will. I would be suprised if there is not a refill store somewhere local to you. Refill cartridges are widely used now.

Customer:

you sent an articAL FOR AN EPSON PRINTER DOES IT MATTER

Colin Vincent :

No the chemical and principle is the same. They all use the same inks