Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

HP 8500 printer will not feed paper

is there a fix for my HP 8500 printer when it doesn't feed paper
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

The problem you are facing is very common with HP printers, it is caused by dirty or defective feed rollers. Please follow the steps below to clean the rollers, if the problem persist, then unfortunately the rollers are defective and you have to replace the rollers.

Step one: Clean the rollers in the rear access area

1. Gather the following materials:
    • A clean, lint-free cloth, or any cloth that will not come apart or leave fibers
    • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might damage the product)
    • A clean, lint-free cotton swab
  2. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  4. Press in the buttons on the sides of the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer), and then remove the duplexer by pulling it away from the product.Figure 8: Remove the duplexerPhotograph of pressing buttons and removing duplexer1 - Press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer2 - Pull the duplexer out of product
  5. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.
  6. Press the cloth against the rollers in the product, and then rotate them upwards with your fingers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to remove any dust or dirt buildup.Figure 9: Clean the rollers in the productPhotograph of cleaning the rollers in the product
  7. Look inside the rear access area of the product to find the pick rollers. They are behind the paper feed rollers.
    NOTE:You might need to use a flashlight to illuminate the pick rollers.Figure 10: Location of the pick rollersPhotograph of location of pick rollers when looking at the rear of the productFigure 11: The pick rollersPhotograph of the pick rollers inside the product
  8. Lightly dampen a cotton swab, and then use it to clean the pick rollers.
  9. Allow the rollers to dry for 10 or 15 minutes.

Step two: Check the rollers in the duplexer

1. Press in the buttons on the latch on the rear of the duplexer, and then lower the cover. Figure 12: Open the duplexerIllustration of opening the duplexer1 - Latch on the back of the duplexer2 - Duplexer cover
  2. Check the paper feed rollers in the duplexer to make sure that they are clean, free of paper bits, and rotate freely.Figure 13: Check the rollers in the duplexerPhotograph of checking the rollers in the duplexer
  3. Clean the surface and the rollers of the duplexer the same way you cleaned the large rollers inside the product.
  4. Allow the rollers of the duplexer to dry for 10 or 15 minutes.
  5. Gently push the duplexer into the product until it snaps firmly into place.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pick up roller assembly doesn't move down.....
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
That means the spring is defective and in this case, you have to replace that assembly from any store to solve the problem. I know, you may not like my honest answer, but I cannot tell you anything except the truth.Hope you will understand.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing