Printer Expert
Printer Expert, Printer Pro
Experience:  Expert in all major brands and models.

I have a problem with my HP printer which will not print black

I have a problem with my HP printer which will not print black even though I have just changed the black ink cartridge. Can you help please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Printer Expert replied 2 years ago.

printerexpert :

Welcome to the justanswer chat support, let me know what model number is XXXXX hp printer having problem with.

Customer:

deskjet 3070A

printerexpert :

let me give you the solution then i will release the button lock

Customer:

ok

Customer:

are you there?

printerexpert :

yes

printerexpert :

please open the cover

printerexpert :

and remove the cartridges

Customer:

all of them?

Customer:

or just the black one?

printerexpert :

all of them

Customer:

ok, done

printerexpert :

Locate the vent area on the top of the cartridge.

printerexpert :

If an orange pull tab is still attached, remove it

printerexpert :

or If a vent is clogged, clean it carefully with a pin.

Customer:

by vent, do you mean where the strip of shiny paper on the thin top of each cartridge is, with a sort of T shape above it where the paper was stripped off when I first bought the cartridges?

printerexpert :

Full Size Image

printerexpert :

check the picture

printerexpert :

Unclogged vent

Customer:

ok thanks I understand. I will try with all 4 of them. Hang on.

printerexpert :

Full Size Image

printerexpert :

clogged vent

printerexpert :
With the nozzle and contacts facing down, slide the cartridge into its slot. Press down on the cartridge until it clicks into place.
printerexpert :

• Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each of the cartridges.

• If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists

printerexpert :

Clean the cartridges

Customer:

done that, doesn't seem to be blocked on any of them. The new black ink I bought only arrived today. I had previously had the same trouble with a copy black ink bought from another company, which I returned, thinking it was the ink. Now with a new HP ink, and the same problem, guess it must be the printer ( which is also quite new)

printerexpert :
    If you found defects on the print quality diagnostic report, follow these steps to run a utility to clean the cartridges.

1. Make sure that plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper is loaded in the tray.

2. From the control panel home screen, press the Setup button ( ).

3. Press the button ( ) next to the Down Arrow ( ) to select Tools , and then press the button ( ) next to OK .

4. With Clean Printhead selected, press the button ( ) next to OK . The product cleans the cartridges, and then prints a test page.

5. Review the print quality on the test page. If the print quality is unacceptable, press the button ( ) next to OK to run a second-level clean. If the print quality is acceptable, press the Cancel button.

• If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting. The following precautions might help avoid the issue in the future.

• Avoid leaving unprotected cartridges out of the product for an extended period of time.

• Always use the power button to turn the product off. This protects the cartridges from exposure to air.

printerexpert :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

hang on, it will take me a few minutes to follow the above instructions. When I originally said I printed a test print, what I meant is I printed a random sheet from my Word documents. I will follow your instructions now, please wait a few minutes.

printerexpert :

take your time

printerexpert :

and let me know

Customer:

On the control panel home screen there is no 'set up' or picture of a spanner. I am using Windows 7 professional. Can you tell me where else to look for the set up button please?

printerexpert :

From the control panel home screen on the printer not on the computer

Customer:

oh. On the printer there is only a little window which says copy scan quick forms.

printerexpert :

is it Deskjet 3070A e-All-in-One Printer Series

Customer:

ok, I see it now. The spanner is not on the little screen but next to it, printed on the printer itself. I never knew what it was for, and have never used it. And yes, it's a scanner and copier as well which I suppose means it is an all in one printer

Customer:

Ok, made that work. It has done a test print with blocks of colour ( expensive!) but there is no black block of colour at all. Should there be?

Customer:

There was no problem with the colour inks before I contacted you, just the black

printerexpert :

ok

printerexpert :

Now follow these steps

printerexpert :
    Follow these steps to align the product if you found defects on the print quality diagnostic report.

2. From the control panel home screen, press the Setup button ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ).

3. Press the button ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) next to the Down Arrow ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) to select Tools , and then press the button ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) next to OK .

4. Press the button ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) next to the Down Arrow ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) to select Align Printhead , and then press the button ([IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] ) next to OK . The product aligns the cartridges, and then prints an alignment page.

5. Lift the scanner lid, and then place the alignment page with the printed side down on the scanner glass. Position the corner of the page in the front right corner of the glass.

printerexpert :

4. Press the button ( ) next to the Down Arrow ( ) to select Align Printhead , and then press the button ( ) next to OK . The product aligns the cartridges, and then prints an alignment page.

printerexpert :

Place the alignment page on the scanner glass

• Close the scanner lid, and then press the button ( ) next to OK on the control panel. The product scans the alignment page.

• When the Alignment successful message displays on the control panel, press the button ( ) next to OK to complete the alignment.

• If these steps resolved the issue or not let me know

Customer:

Please can you just answer my question - should the test print page also have a black ink square like the coloured ones? The problem is not the coloured inks! I already did an alignment page printout while I was waiting. It has printed only blue and red, nothing else.I don't kniw what to look for. Is this what an alignment page print out should look like?

printerexpert :

yes

printerexpert :

it should

printerexpert :

if not then follow the steps further

Customer:

but should the test page print out have a black square on it? It only has 6 coloured squares, the 3 ink colours and 3 other coloured squares which I presuem are combination colours, but no black square

Customer:

if the alignment page that i have printed has only blue and red on it like mine has, how do I know if the black is working again? I don't think it's out of alignment, it just won't print black.

printerexpert :

yes

printerexpert :

it should have black

printerexpert :

Full Size Image

printerexpert :

like this

Customer:

Actually the test page printed out for me as 6 separate colour blocks, not stacked up like your image, but I guess the idea is the same. But no black at all. I have just tried to print a short piece of writing ( a Word doc) and it still will not print black.

printerexpert :

that is why i gave you further steps to follow

printerexpert :

afer head allignment if still the black is not printing then your cartridge is bad

printerexpert :

do you have the old black cartridge

printerexpert :

if yes shake it a bit and try to print black from the old one

Customer:

yes, but I did do an alignment page, as I said, it printed just blue and red. I still don't know what an alignment page printout should look like, so I don't know if this is normal or not. I put it on the scanner and scanned it. There no message saying alignment successful. It was just like any ordinary scan.

printerexpert :

it will look like this

Customer:

I just bought new HP black ink. The old ink was virtually out of ink. The one I had from another online seller before this new one was a copy ink, but I have used this company before ( thoguh for a different printer). Does this model of HP (deskjet 3070A) allow the use of copy inks? HP inks are so outrageously expensive.

printerexpert :

Full Size Image

printerexpert :

but not jaggery like this should be straight

Customer:

It didn't look like that at all. It's little square dots printed across the page rather than up and down in lines, and there are only 2 colours, as i said

Customer:

I'll try doing alignment again, hang on

printerexpert :

its the same

printerexpert :

did you try

printerexpert :

the old cartridge

Customer:

I threw it away. It has taken nearly 2 weeks to get this printer working again, as I had ti wait for the first company's black ink to arrive, then the second company's black ink to arrive, and the bin has been emptied since themn. And now i have a new genuone HP black cartridge that still won't print black. How can the printer print colour and not the black?

printerexpert :

ok

Customer:

I have a new message come up on my printer screen. It says 'alignment failed. Cartridges are set to default quality'. What does that mean, please?

printerexpert :

try that allignment test and if that doesnt work then you can try cleaning the head

Customer:

what does the message on the printer screen mean? Shall I press OK? Could this be anything to do with the problem? I did the alignment test twice and got the same printout as I described earlier, just 2 colours. The red bit on the test alignment page is not strips or squares of colour but words - it says 'important!' There is a red arrow and a triangle warning image. weird. can you help?

printerexpert :

any option on the printer to press on

printerexpert :

Press ok and see what happens

printerexpert :

if you have another black cartridge replace it

Customer:

pressed ok, just reverts to the normal screen

printerexpert :

then you can make out wether the head is clogged or the cartridge is bad

Customer:

I don't have another one. As this one is new and genuine it should work. But as the previous one didn't print black either (though it was a copy ink) I suspect the problem may not be the ink

Customer:

I think I am going to phone pc world where i bought the printer to see if they can help.

printerexpert :

is the printer under one year warranty

Customer:

yes

printerexpert :

you have all the rights to call them and get a new replacement printer

printerexpert :

do take out the cartridges and secure the airtight

printerexpert :

before you ship this printer back to them after you receive a new one

printerexpert :

you know what

Customer:

ok, I don't know what else to do. Your suggestions are probably good ones but they don't make it print black

Customer:

what does secure the airtight mean?

printerexpert :

if you are using a genuine cartridge then the cartridge is not bad

printerexpert :

the printer head is clogged or may require replacement

printerexpert :

so the printer is under warranty you can get it replaced

Customer:

do you know whether this printer normally would take copy inks? My last printer ( an epson) didn't like it, but they did work after cleaning the print heads

printerexpert :

do you want me to give you Hp's warranty support number

printerexpert :

dont remove the print head it will void warranty

printerexpert :

800-HP invent or(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

printerexpert :

24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most products

printerexpert :

is there anything else i may assist you?

printerexpert :

If your question was answered to your satisfaction and updated your knowledge with the information i provided you can hit the green Accept button to reward the time.

Customer:

do you mean 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNN in England there should be a zero before the 800

printerexpert :

i am sorry

printerexpert :

let me give you Uk's number

Customer:

yes please

printerexpert :

0845(NNN) NNN-NNNNThe line is now voice activated.

For more info "click here"

printerexpert :

i have unlocked the Accept button for you to click on.

printerexpert :

If you have any question please let me know

Customer:

I don't really think I should accept as I am no further than before I started this. But I will becasue you have tried to help.

Printer Expert, Printer Pro
    Experience: Expert in all major brands and models.